Getting Your Online Accounts
Parents or guardians of admitted or enrolled undergraduate day students are eligible to create a Parent Portal Account. Because student information must be in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, the process for parents or guardians to obtain a myNEU account includes giving your student the opportunity to grant or deny parental access. See the How To: Create Your Parent Portal Account (PDF) instructions.
For parents with access to the myNEU parent portal, resources available include contact information from various offices, helpful links to the Northeastern community and the Boston area, suggestions for area hotels, and an online form to directly communicate with the Office of Parent Programs and Services. Parents are able to view current Northeastern notices (including the student handbook) and – depending upon the level of FERPA access granted by your student – may be able to view your student’s bills, pay their tuition, add funds to their student’s Husky Card, and view their student’s transcripts. If a parent has multiple students enrolled, each student must allow access to services on the myNEU Parent Portal.
Parents are encouraged to speak with their student for authorization to create an online Parent Portal account. Visit the Office of Parent Programs and Services website to learn more about Parent Portal accounts in myNEU.
Buying a Student Computer
If you are wondering if your student can use a computer you already own or if you should buy one for college, visit ResNet to view the minimum system recommendations and links to both the Apple and Dell sites for discounted purchase options. Because some colleges or departments have additional recommendations for computer configurations, you should also check with your department for details. See the Northeastern Homepage for links to the college websites and programs.
ITS provides both Mac and Windows computers in the InfoCommons and other computer labs, as well as at mini-labs conveniently located around campus.
Where to Go for Tech Support
- ResNet (student computer and residential network help, located in Speare Commons) – Computer recommendations, wireless information for students, free computer help services, HuskyCable support, and additional resources and links.
- Help and Information Desk in InfoCommons (computer labs, quick print stations, and help desk located on the first floor of Snell Library) – See Hours and Locations.
- ITS Service Desk (comprehensive technical assistance) – Provides phone support at 617.373.4357 (xHELP) and press #2 for student assistance, or contact via e-mail at email@example.com.
- ServiceNow – Your self-service gateway to report a technology problem or request technology-related services. Information about ServiceNow, including frequently asked questions, is available on the ServiceNow page.
- Knowledge Base – Your self-service 24 x 7 x 365 access to search for solutions relating to Northeastern University technologies and services. Information about the ITS knowledge base is available on the Knowledge Base page.
NUwave-guest Wireless Access
Parents, guardians and family friends may use NUwave-guest while visiting on campus. NUwave-guest, the open-access (not secured) wireless network, is available in administrative and classroom buildings, as well as the libraries. With NUwave-guest you will have limited Internet access to most browser-based applications, email and your own VPN. To access NUwave-guest you will need to register through a guest wireless portal page, which you will be directed to when you connect to NUwave-guest. For more information, see the NUwave-guest page or contact the ITS Service Desk at 617.373.4357 (xHELP).