What are the benefits for a faculty or staff member to use a Northeastern-managed computer?
- Software: Northeastern-managed computers have access to the latest Northeastern preconfigured licensed software in a machine-specific image. In addition, you can easily install and use a wide variety of university-licensed or departmental software applications.
- Standard login for services: Log in to your computer with your myNEU account on and off campus using the same username and password you use to access many other services.
- Network Printers: Find and set up your department’s networked printers quickly and easily.
- Security: A Northeastern-managed system is a secure computing environment that is kept up to date with the latest software patches and updates installed on your computer as they become available.
- Network Storage: Connect to your department’s network storage folders.
- Support: Northeastern-managed computers are supported by trained and certified Information Technology Services Customer Service staff. For more information about purchasing or switching your current computer to a managed computer contact the ITS Service Desk at 617.373.4357 (xHELP) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the supported faculty/staff computers and operating systems?
Operating Systems with Full Support:
- Northeastern-configured machines with Microsoft Windows 7
- Northeastern-configured machines with Apple OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
Operating Systems with Limited Support:
- Microsoft Windows 7 (non-Northeastern configured machine)
- Microsoft Windows Vista
- Apple OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) (non-Northeastern configured machine)
I’m on an older image and want to update my computer to get the latest operating system/Office suite. What do I do?
To fully update your computer’s software, you need to contact the ITS Service Desk at 617.373.4357 (xHELP) and request for your computer to be reimaged. NOTE: This will wipe all data and settings from your computer. You should back up any necessary files and data before requesting to be reimaged. To back up, follow the instructions in this myKnowledge solution.
|ITS Supported Machines||Out-of-Warranty Machines|
How does a faculty or staff member dispose of an old computer?
You are required to follow Northeastern’s Research & Property Accounting Office Asset Disposition Procedures (PDF). Security policy requires hard drive(s) be removed or sanitized prior to disposal via the asset disposition process. If you follow the Northeastern process, ITS will sanitize the computer for you.
What is the current workstation software profile FY14?
See this chart for details of the software configuration for Windows and Mac systems.
What if I as a faculty or staff member want to take advantaged of the benefits of a Northeastern-managed machine on an existing system that was purchased through Northeastern?
Contact the Service Desk at 617.373.4357 (xHELP) to schedule an appointment to have your computer re-imaged and upgraded to the latest image. Prior to imaging, you must back up your data – the ITS Service Desk can help with this process. The ITS Service Desk will then wipe your computer and reinstall the operating system with the Northeastern image (approximately two hours). After the image is configured, restore your data from the back up.