NUwave-guest is intended for guests visiting Northeastern University who need wireless access. It provides individuals without a myNEU login limited Internet access to most browser-based applications, email and VPN access. NUwave-guest is the open access (not secured) wireless network on campus and is available in administrative and classroom buildings, as well as libraries. Guests will need to register through a web portal before accessing the Internet.
NUwave-guest is intended for visitors and short-term guests. If you are a student, faculty, staff or sponsored account holder, you must use NUwave and not NUwave-guest.
NUwave is intended for student, faculty, staff and sponsored account use, and is built with the needs of these audiences in mind, so it offers users several advantages over NUwave-guest. In short, the NUwave wireless network:
- Provides a secured wireless network connection
- Does not have a time limit
- Offers exclusive wireless access to internal systems
- Allows students to print wirelessly using the virtual printing system
- Only requires you to sign in once
- Access NUwave by using your myNEU username and password.
There are three different ways to access NUwave-guest, depending on your role and physical location:
Standard guest registration
Available at all Northeastern locations
A standard self-registration process is available at all Northeastern locations. Individuals wishing to use NUwave-guest need to register through the guest wireless portal page, providing their name, cell phone number (accepted carriers are AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, MetroPCS, and US-Cellular) and email address. Following the completion of the registration form, guests receive a text message containing their user name and a password for the login page.
User names are case sensitive. Guests are provided with guest wireless network access for eight hours, on up to three devices. Once the allotted time expires, guests will be required to re-register in order to receive a new password to continue to use the guest wireless network.
- Basement areas of West Village F, International Village and Behrakis – Due to the possible lack of cell coverage in these areas the user name and access code will be displayed within the browser window following the completion of the registration form.
- Northeastern locations in multi-tenant buildings not fully occupied by the university – For security these locations require a special access code in addition to the standard registration process. Key on-site personnel are provided with the access code, which changes on a monthly basis. These locations include: 177 Huntington Avenue (select floors only), 236 Huntington Avenue, and the Boston Financial Campus (Broad Street).
Conference and events registration
Available at all Northeastern locations
- One-day event: a single conference code is created for use by all event attendees. This code is only valid for the day it is generated.
- Multiple day events: individual usernames and passwords are created for each attendee, valid for the duration of the conference/event.
Additional information appears in the Conference Access section below.
Warren Conference Center & Inn only
Hotel guests are provided with an individual username and password (one per room) valid for the length of their stay and for up to 10 devices.
The registration process provides a greater level of security for our campus networks by limiting Internet access to identified guests visiting Northeastern for a certain period of time. This is similar to the free registration for wireless access at a coffee shop or an airport.
NUwave-guest has limited Internet access to most browser-based applications, email and VPN access. The network is intended for light web browsing for people who do not have myNEU login credentials. It does not support FaceTime or Skype video chat.
To access NUwave-guest, you will need a wireless network card installed on your computer and you will need to be in one the NUwave service areas. Your computer will most likely automatically detect NUwave-guest. Please see the list of ITS supported computers and operating systems for more details.
Guest accounts are valid for eight hours. This time frame starts when the guest registers. Once that time has expired, you will have to re-register.
Guest accounts are valid on up to three different devices.
Individuals who don’t use the five carriers listed above, including guests with international phone numbers and guest using applications such Google Voice will not be able to register directly through the guest wireless portal. These guests must visit the Help & Information Desk on the first floor of Snell Library (located next to the InfoCommons) for in-person registration assistance. A government issued photo id will be needed to complete the registration process.
Visit the Help & Information Desk located to the left of the entrance on the first floor of Snell Library for in-person registration assistance. A government issued photo id will be needed to complete the registration process.
- One-day event: ITS can provide a conference code for a one-day event that can be used by all event attendees. A myHelp (Service Now) request must be submitted one week prior to the event start date.
- Two-or-more-day event: With one week advance notice, ITS offers conference and event organizers the option of providing NUwave-guest access to attendees for longer than the standard time limit for conferences/events lasting two or more days.
- Conference/Event Organizers must submit a myHelp (Service Now) request one week prior to the event start date [myHelp -> Service Catalog -> Other Services – Submit a Request. Under Short description please put Guest Wireless conference accounts].
- As part of the service request organizers must fill out and attach the guest wireless conference accounts spreadsheet, which must include attendee names and contact information.
- Following the completion of the request, ITS will send organizers a list of guest wireless conference accounts with individual usernames and passwords for attendees so they may access NUwave-guest for the duration of the event.
- Recognizing that some conference/event attendees may register late, organizers can submit the contact information for late registrants at the end of each conference day to the ITS Service Desk through myHelp using the same process as the initial list. A wireless conference account (individual username and password) will be generated for each late registrant within one business day. While the late registrant awaits a wireless conference account, they can access NUwave-guest through the standard guest wireless registration process, which will provide wireless access for eight hours at time.
- Any conference that requires additional access beyond what is already provided with NUwave-guest: ITS can provide additional access to conferences with advance notice. Attendees are provided with individual usernames and passwords for access to NUwave-guest. A myHelp (Service Now) request must be submitted two weeks prior to the event start date. There will be a template that conference organizers will have to fill out and submit as part of the service request. The length of access will match the duration of the event.
For more details, read this myKnowledge solution.
Contact the ITS Service Desk at 617.373.4357 (xHELP) or visit the Help & Information Desk located to the left of the entrance on the first floor of Snell Library. Outside of regular Service Desk hours both the phone number and email are monitored by the staff at the Help & Information Desk near the InfoCommons in Snell Library.