20 hours of Friends, Game of Thrones — or whatever floats your boat!
Service Update Alert!
ITS is excited to announce that all residential students now have access to 20 hours of FREE DVR storage to the HuskyCableplus service! The cloud-based DVR (cDVR) is part of Comcast’s Xfinity on Campus suite of offerings and is now available to our Residential student community. This storage is in addition to HD programming, and access to over 200 channels via IPTV.
You can access cDVR from your XfinityTV app and Northeastern credentials. You will have the ability to record your favorite shows and play them back. You’re now able to stream and download your recorded DVR programs to any internet-connected device. When you are at home, turn any mobile device into a television. Or you may load up the Xfinity TV app on your phone or tablet, tap over to your list of DVR recordings and start streaming any content straight to your device.
Northeastern University’s IPTV service is provided through a partnership with Comcast and delivered through the XFINITY On Campus™ portal.
Sleep Better with Symantec Endpoint Protection on Your Computer
Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) antivirus software is available to all Northeastern students, faculty and staff for FREE! The software is installed on all Northeastern-managed computers, and is also available for you to install on your unmanaged, personal, and home computers. Protection of your work and personal data is just a click away – do it today!
SEP is available for both Windows and Mac computers in computer labs, offices, and for your personal computers using the latest operating systems. Please install and regularly update the antivirus software to protect your computer and the information on it.
Click HERE for information on installing Symantec Endpoint Protection.
FOR YOUR SAFETY & SECURITY, WE HIGHLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS FREE UPGRADE — TODAY!
Snell Library and International Village get major wireless upgrades! The latest on-campus upgrades In our efforts to continuously enhance technology and accessibility across the Northeastern community.
Snell Library 2.0
Snell Library has received wireless upgrades on the 3rd and 4th floors. ITS installed additional wireless access points in order to provide a better signal and faster service. Enjoy!
International Village Gets Wired
Another major upgrade will boost the connectivity of International Village, a 1200 bed housing unit on campus. You may notice some work being done as we install 540 new access points throughout the facility in the September – October timeframe. Look out for some awesome changes to your wireless experience!
Moving on up… to Office 365!
We are excited to announce Northeastern University’s upgrade to SharePoint Online this fall! We are taking advantage of the many benefits offered by SharePoint on Office 365, including;
- Tighter Integration – Across email, Skype, OneDrive, and Microsoft applications
- Increased Accessibility – Access your e-mail, documents, intranet – online anywhere!
- Enhanced Experience – Improved search, navigation and an updated look and feel
It is the same as the Northeastern-hosted service you recognize, but will now be provided online as part of the Microsoft Office 365 suite of applications. Improved performance, reliability and scalable across any browser or device – accessible just about anywhere!
Industry-Leading Collaboration Tool
SharePoint is the industry-leading collaboration and content sharing tool, used by organizations for creating team sites, file sharing and more. You can use it as a secure place to store, organize, share, and access information from almost any device.
Want to learn more about SharePoint Online on Office 365? Check out these resources:
We look forward to upgrading your SharePoint experience this fall!!
If you are a faculty or staff member on a managed computer and are not seeing the latest software in Start or Software Center on Windows, or in Applications of Self Service on Mac, you may want to consider having your computer reimaged. For information on reimaging your computer, search the Service-Now Knowledge Base for reimage at https://northeastern.service-now.com/ne/ or by contacting the ITS Service Desk at 617.373.4357 (xHELP) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information on the various ways to access software, visit Software Access for Individual Use on the ITS website. For a complete list of software titles and how each is distributed, visit Available Software on the ITS website.
CaseWare IDEA (version 9.2) available on RemoteApp.
Adobe Designer LiveCycle (ES3/ES4) available from the Service Desk for installation on university-owned Windows machines only.
Microsoft Project Online available as one of the Office 365 Online applications.
Standard Mac image – ITS now has El Capitan as the standard Mac image operating system for Northeastern-managed computers.
Software Version Updates
- Adobe Designer LiveCycle (ES3/ES4) available from the Service Desk for installation on university-owned Windows machines only.
- ChemDraw Professional (version 15.1) on all Faculty/Staff Northeastern-managed and Mac computers.
- Final Cut Pro X (version 10.2.3) available on Mac computers in the Digital Media Commons.
- Fusion 360 (latest version) available on all ITS-Managed lab Windows and Mac computers and on all Faculty/Staff Northeastern-managed Windows (via Software Center) and Mac computers (via Self Service). Faculty and Staff can get the software directly from vendor (Autodesk Education Community link: https://schools.autodesk.com/login).
- JMP Pro (version 12.2) on Mac Faculty/Staff Northeastern-managed computers and via Software Downloads from myNEU.
- Maple 2016 (version 2016) for Windows and Mac ITS-Managed lab machines, on all Faculty/Staff Mac computers (via Self Service) and Windows computers (via Software Center). Software Downloads for faculty, staff and students, for local installation on non-Northeastern-managed and university-owned machines by submitting a ServiceNow request to the ITS Service Desk.
- Mathematica (version 10.4) on all Faculty/Staff Northeastern-managed Windows and Mac computers.
- Matlab (version 2016a) on all Faculty/Staff Northeastern-managed Windows and Mac computers.
- Maya (version 2017) available in the Mac Northeastern-managed computers in Self-Service and in Digital Media Commons Lab and available for local installation on non-Northeastern-managed and university-owned machines by submitting a ServiceNow request to the ITS Service Desk.
- Mudbox (version 2017) available in the Mac Northeastern-managed computers in Self-Service and in Digital Media Commons Lab and available for local installation on non-Northeastern-managed and university-owned machines by submitting a ServiceNow request to the ITS Service Desk..
- Pharos Print client (Spring 2016) available for Windows and Mac Northeastern-managed computers and via Software Downloads
- SAS available via via Software Downloads for a Windows computer from myNEU
- Symantec Endpoint Protection (version 10.1.6) available on all Faculty/Staff Northeastern-managed Windows and Mac computers, via Software Downloads from myNEU, and for local installation on non-Northeastern-managed and university-owned machines by submitting a ServiceNow request to the ITS Service Desk.
Additional titles will be available as they are tested and deployed. Check the Available Software charts for Faculty/Staff Standard Configuration or Labs, Classrooms and Individual Access to find the title you wish to use.
Many of these titles are available by various means – in the Northeastern images for faculty and staff computers, and for local installation, on Software Downloads found on myNEU, or via RemoteApps.
For a full list of software applications, please go to: ITS Available Software.
Let The Good Times Roll with NU Events!
A new ticket vendor is providing Northeastern with a more robust online ticketing service available for both Athletics and Student Affairs events. The new service will bring improved ticketing features and reliability for our upcoming events.
New Online Ticketing Vendor = Easy Access + Quick Tickets
The cool thing with this is that you don’t have to be a current member of the NU community to buy tickets to events. Individuals currently affiliated with Northeastern may continue to purchase tickets through the myTickets link in myNEU.
People who do not have a myNEU account can now create an account and buy tickets to Northeastern-hosted events at the following sites:
Upgrading with YOU in Mind!
Northeastern University is in the process of transforming the myNEU portal. Focus groups were held to get a feel for what people want from their online experience. The result? A social, personalized, customizable, integrated, and dynamic interface that will provide an enhanced and up-to-date experience. No small order!
What to Expect
We look forward to providing a more modern site with tools that support global engagement, collaboration and socialization. The platform will present a more individualized, relevant experience tailored to improve everyone’s ability to connect, engage and access personalized information.
Northeastern is in the process of selecting a vendor that can meet our expectations to revolutionize your MyNEU experience. Updates to follow!
A Whole New Experience Coming Your Way (Soon!)
ITS will roll out a Windows 10 image to the Northeastern Community in the Fall of 2016. Testing is underway to ensure that Northeastern networks, applications, and systems will be compatible with the new operating system. Likewise, many technology vendors are still in the process of updating their products to ensure compatibility. We will provide further information as soon as compatibility requirements are met. In the meantime, ITS does not recommend upgrading to Windows 10.
Windows 10 will brings major changes to the operating system and user experience. It is being hailed as ‘the last version of Windows‘ with a new ‘Windows-as-a-Service” model, meaning it’s never quite done and constantly evolving.
ITS is releasing a Windows 10 image for faculty/staff and ITS-managed lab computers (rolling out Fall 2016). A recommended touch-screen tablet compatible model is also forthcoming.
Personal and Unmanaged Northeastern-owned computers
We strongly caution against upgrading to Windows 10 before ITS has completed testing.
To learn more about the Windows 10 release at Northeastern University, including information on the many new features, as well as instructions on how to upgrade, please go to Windows 10 – What You Need to Know.
FREE to the Northeastern Community
As a Northeastern student, faculty or staff, you have access to over 4,000 FREE online video-based training courses at Lynda.neu.edu or from the link on the myNEU portal.
What Do You Need To Learn?
Topics range from programming languages to business skills to professional development skills. Popular topics include Excel 2013, Adobe Creative Cloud and Programming courses, as well as soft skills, such as Time Management and Negotiation Skills.
Check out these courses and more!
- Happiness Tips
- Getting Things Done
- Time Management
- Improving Your Memory
- Overcoming Procrastination
- Speed Reading Fundamentals
|Critical Computer Skills
- Excel 2013: Essential Training
- Excel 2013: Pivot Tables in Depth
- Excel 2013: Formulas & Functions
- Excel 2013: Macros in Depth
- PowerPoint 2016: Tips and Tricks
- Access 2016: Essential Training
- Marketing Tips
- Project Management
- Office 365: Essential Training
- Building Business Relationships
- Web Analytics Fundamentals
- Customer Service Fundamentals
|Creative and Design
- Introduction to Graphic Design
- InDesign Essential Training
- Illustrator CC Essential Training
- Photoshop CC Essential Training
- The Art of Photoshop Compositing
- Creativity Bootcamp
|Study Skills and Test Prep
- Test Prep: GRE
- Test Prep: ACT
- Writing Research Papers
- Study Skills Fundamentals
- Google Apps for Student Productivity
- Monday Productivity Pointers
|Technical and Programming
- Foundations of Programming
- HTML Essential Training
- SQL Essential Training
- Responsive Design Fundamentals
- JQuery Essential Training
Don’t miss out – check out Lynda.com today! Learn more here.
Learn MATLAB® interactively, at your own pace, with MATLAB Academy™
Exclusive Training for Northeastern Faculty and Students
MATLAB Academy Training is now available to all Faculty and Students under the university’s MathWorks Campus-wide License Agreement. We offer exclusive access to MATLAB self-paced training. Learn MATLAB interactively, at your own pace with MATLAB Academy.
These online courses provide a comprehensive introduction to the MATLAB technical computing environment. Competency is developed in a natural way, with an emphasis on practical application. The pre-recorded, interactive format includes demonstrations, exercises, and quizzes that you complete at your own pace. Themes of data analysis, visualization, modeling, and programming are explored throughout four online courses.
Available courses include: MATLAB Onramp, MATLAB Fundamentals, MATLAB for Financial Applications, MATLAB Programming Techniques, MATLAB for Data Processing and Visualization, and Machine Learning with MATLAB.
Sign up today HERE!
New to MATLAB?
MATLAB is a high-level language and interactive environment that lets you focus on your course work and applications, rather than on programming details. It enables you to solve many numerical problems in a fraction of the time it takes to write a program in a lower-level language. You can also use MATLAB to analyze and visualize data using automation capabilities, thereby avoiding the manual repetition.
For MATLAB information, access and support at Northeastern, go to the ITS service page: http://www.northeastern.edu/its/services/software/matlab/.