Specialized Entry Programs

Specialized entry programs are innovative Pathway and English language preparatory programs including Global Pathways, U.S. Sino-Pathway Program and American Classroom.  Immigration and travel regulations for these programs are the same as those governing status for degree-program students.  And the ISSI is your contact for guidance and assistance with all of the following.

Program Extension

For various reasons, such as having taken a leave of absence or having a change in a research subject, you may not be able to complete your degree program before the End Date on your I-20. (This date is listed in Section 5 on the first page of your I-20 if you are on an F-1 visa, or in Section 3 of the first page of your DS-2019 if you are on a J-1 visa.) If you are unable to complete your degree on time, then you must petition to have your stay at Northeastern University extended.

The process is to fill out ISSI Form 129: Certification of Program Extension for International Students, submit it to your academic advisor, and then turn it in to the ISSI for review.

Leave of Absence

If you need to take time off from the University for non-medical reasons, such as being required to return home for military service, you may fill out and submit a request to the ISSI for a Non-Medical Leave of Absence.

Please note that if you take a non-medical leave, or if you permanently and voluntarily withdraw from the University, you will lose your F-1 visa status and be required to leave the United States within 15 days.

Becoming a Permanent Resident

If you become a Permanent Resident of the United States (also known as a Green Card holder) you will need to notify the ISSI so that we may update your status with SEVIS and also with other offices on the campus. Please bring your Permanent Residency Card to our office so that we may update you files.

Co-op/Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Northeastern University is recognized around the world for its robust co-op program. Co-op allows students to work and gain vital experience in a field related to their program of study.

Student on an F-1 visa may engage in Curricular Practical Training (CPT), or co-op, after receiving approval from a co-op faculty member or an academic advisor/SEVIS contact (for graduate level required internships), and after receiving legal authorization from the ISSI.

You begin the process of applying for CPT by filling out the CPT Request Form.

Transfer Out

If you have decided to leave Northeastern University for another institution in the United States at which you will still be using your F-1 visa, you need to notify the ISSI so that we may transfer your record to your new school. To request a transfer of your SEVIS record to another college, please fill out and submit to the ISSI a Transfer Out Notification Form for F-1 Students.

Have a question that is not included in this list?  Don’t worry.  The ISSI is ready and able to help.  Call for an appointment to see a counselor (617-373-2310), or if it is urgent—stop by 405 Ell Hall.