There are specific orientation sessions planned by the International Student and Scholar Institute (ISSI) that are mandatory for all new international students. Please be sure to review the ISSI Orientation Schedule
for your academic program for detailed information, including date, location and time, for the following mandatory sessions.
- International Students holding an F-1 or J-1 visa MUST attend an International Student Check-In Session.
- In preparation for the ISSI Immigration Clearance Check In Session, please remember to bring the following documents with you:
- E-mail confirmation of completed Online Compliance Form (in print or on smartphone)
- Original passport and visa
- Northeastern University issued I-20 or DS-2019 document
- If transferring from another school, please show the I-20(s) from your previous school(s)
Complete descriptions of these mandatory sessions and forms are detailed below:
International Student Check In Session
(Students need only to attend ONE International Student Check-In Session. Please plan to arrive on time to this scheduled session. You will not be permitted into the session if you are late and you will have to plan to attend a later session.)
All new international students are required by government regulations to complete International Student Check-In. In order to have your documents processed properly, please bring your original passport and I-20 or DS-2019 to this session. If transferring from another school in the U.S., bring your I-20(s) or DS-2019(s) from the previous school(s). Your documents will be reviewed by an ISSI advisor during this session.
As a part of the International Student Check-In, the ISSI sponsors this required information session for all new international students in "F-1" (student) or "J-1" (exchange visitor) nonimmigrant visa classifications, to ensure student compliance with U.S. immigration regulations, particularly as they relate to the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and other important federal policies/procedures.