10/03/12 Eboard Meeting

  • A request for more money to dedicate to recruitment budget
    • An extra $100 will be released, regarding branding/recruitment
    • Need to ask for delineations on what the last money was spent on and what this next allotment will be spent on
  • BOD member’s “October Retention Plan”
    • Various fun events on campus planned
    • Good job in development and event creation
  • Permanent agenda item: making sure we’re all set for the next week’s meeting (to discuss the BarMUN, and NERMAL meetings)
    • Who are our other 1 (or 2) NERMAL HDs?
    • Do we want to add another NERMAL HD? We have 5 countries this year.
    • To be very blunt: top team should have one head delegate and others should each of two
      • Taking suggestions of who could be the third one
    • We’re in 7 committees plus the joint cabinet, 14 Qatar; 13 Palestine; 14 Mauritania; 13 Djibouti; 11 Somalia (there was no way of eliminating a country)
    • All countries are represented in special committee except Somalia
    • In terms of everyone that can be a head delegate is in committee, the lead delegates
      • No lead in JDC, no lead in Special
      • Maybe should tap into alumni?
      • Finalizing NERMAL delegations will be completed and sent out to club/class members.
  • Website options?
    • Possibly purchasing a domain instead of using slow/limited NEU server.
    • Will be looked into.
    • Foreseen issue one: Getting it, certain offices on campus will not allow you to link them; bigger problem: Student Activities office
    • Need BOD Approval – ask at meeting
    • NEU is very protective of branding
    • VP Events will talk to Student Activities if its feasible
  • IRC’s partnership with NUvotes
    • Discussion of our relationship and future partnership events.
    • Will be co-hosting Election Night
  • Addressing needs/grievances of current board, and a need for developing a more cohesive team.
    • Need open line of communication.
    • Find a mentor; they are invaluable.
    • Suggestions:
      •  For motivation, think of 5 people that would like to do your job, and realize that you were the one elected.
      • Reality for every past President, its hard for them to give up their power, need to respect their opinions and but have to know that this is the E-Board and that you have the power. You have to empower past e-board so they help you
      • The Professor is the most powerful individual in class, need to give due respect
      • Respect is the most important thing that we can give each other.
      • Need to read the room and if the class is getting bored we need to do something.
        • Doing a new simulation, introducing a new agenda item. It was really helpful to have “what worked/what didn’t work at last meeting” as first E-Board agenda meeting item.
    • Consensus: No computers during class for E-Board; we need to think of ourselves as leaders through participation – needing to be actively engaged in class. No computers during lectures.
    • General discussion of topic guides and what can be done better or differently.
  • Discussing appointment of AVPs
    • It is suggested that the VP Admin and Executive VP should get Assistant VPs.
  • Procedure for announcements during meetings
    • President needs to know everything before anyone attempts to speak or make announcements
  • General VP Events update:
    • Election Watch, NERMAL, October Saturday Simulation, MSMUN, NATO travel.
    • For Election Watch: AVP Events is taking the lead on this, we have an email to send to co-sponsors and set up a meeting; food decorations, shirts etc. will be ordered and sent out
    • NERMAL: Finalized the Chairs
      • All the Nationals chairs that wanted their positions have it – will be emailed tomorrow (10/4)
      • Decision was made that there will be no court, but will be a JCC committee
      • Food: Need to know the budget, catered by local middle eastern vendor for nighttime event
      • Next week: Meeting with secretariat to go over details; also developing a detailed schedule
    • Oct 27th NATO Tryout: Saturday Simulation: 12-3pm
      • Do we want food or beverages? Probably not.
      • Room is reserved
    • MSMUN: Secretary general is sending out applications, the rooms have been booked, and we not providing food as UNAGB has taken on this cost
    • NATO Travel: Have started looking into group quotes; will be speaking with VP Finance about budget etc.; will have everything prepped by the 15th of October.
    • Also developing a comprehensive travel plan for all Spring Travel
    • BarMUN: Has spoken with leaders of conference; need proof from VP Finance about payment; will have an observer group prepared to view the conference for two or three hours.
    • Need to think about SG’s and HD’s for Spring and finalized by the end of October
      • For October 15?
    • Events are going well!
  • Discuss ways to enhance class and make it more engaging (speakers, discussion of world issues, etc.)
    • Need to find a way to engage students, some suggestions have been to speak about current events
    • Perhaps expanding the teaching aspect of EVP, and utilize the students that have specific and specialized knowledge in certain topics?
    • Problem: Need to have outlines submitted before accepting topics
    • Will be actively looking for persons interested in participating
    • Need to be careful on the subjects discussed, do not want to create contention
    • What about guest speakers? No one has been interested, maybe we can reach out to alumni?
  • Finalize plan for chair training
    • Will be speaking about formatting the training and VP Events will help because of past experience. Will be meeting Monday?
  • Weekly updates: better system for giving VP Admin information? MailChimp usage?
    • Will create a weekly Google doc where all information can be shared before, so all info is gathered ahead of time
    • Send to all e-board members copy of email before it goes out to proofread
  • NATO HD
    • Need to encourage balanced productivity and participation from both HDs
    • Selection committee decisions need to be discussed

VP Admin will be printing out rubric and bringing copies to class next week.

This entry was posted in E-Board Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.