Hiring a Northeastern University International Affairs Co-op student is much like hiring another employee for your company with “value added”!
You will work directly with a Cooperative Education Faculty Coordinator who will guide you through the hiring process. In addition, your Coordinator will prescreen the resumes of students who apply for your position.
Listing your position on the NU Co-op website
- Your Co-op Faculty Coordinator will contact you by telephone to establish a personal connection, to create your listing, to answer questions you have about the process, and to make an appointment to visit your company in the near future.
- After you have indicated approval, the job posting will be uploaded to an internal, secure Northeastern University password-protected website.
Reviewing Resumes/Interviewing Students
- You will receive resumes of students who have been prescreened and pre-qualified by your NU Co-op Faculty Coordinator. You and your staff will make decisions about which students you wish to interview and ultimately to hire. This part of the process is the same as it would be for any other position you may have. Typically, you would be responsible for contacting students and arranging for interviews and, although NEU prescreens the applicants for your position, we do recommend that you check references.
- If you have multiple Co-op openings, your Co-op Faculty Coordinator may offer you the opportunity to come to campus to interview candidates.
Making An Offer
When you are ready to make an offer to hire a student, we ask that you allow the student three business days to make a decision, if possible. If you require a decision more quickly, please make sure the student has this information.
- If you would like to speak to your Co-op Faculty Coordinator before making a decision, please feel free to do so.
- If you need assistance in setting an hourly rate, please feel free to contact your coordinator.
- Please notify your NU faculty coordinator when a student accepts an offer for your position.
- If possible, please let other students know that you have hired someone else.
Thank you for your interest in the NU International Affairs Co-op Program. We look forward to a rewarding relationship!