PMIS seeks to improve international student success and increase levels of satisfaction with the college experience.
- Integrate incoming international students into the larger NU community.
- Provide a rewarding learning (academic and social) experience by actively engaging students.
- Cultivate school spirit.
- Increase community building among international learners.
- Increase academic achievement among international learners.
The students will have an opportunity to work with the Peer Mentors in defining and addressing what they need to learn about the culture and practices of the classroom in order to make the most of the Northeastern experience. Topics include:
- Academic integrity
- Active listening strategies to improve comprehension
- Classroom expectations
- Connecting to professional resources
- Everyday usage of the English language; understanding colloquial phrases
- Interpreting writing assignments
- Note taking
- Oral presentations
- Participation in class and in small group discussions
- Participation in student groups and campus activities
- Preparation for exams
- Reading comprehension and strategies for textual interpretation
- Relationships with professors and other students
- Textbook reading
- Time management