Do I need to have personal health insurance coverage while I am in another country?

Yes.  The University provides coverage for accidents (including repatriation) that occur while you are away on a university-sponsored program or work-related activity, but does not cover you for routine sickness or medical needs while you are out of the country.

The Policy on International Travel requires "All students undertaking University-sponsored International Travel must possess personal health insurance that meets minimum standards as prescribed by the university."  Personal health insurance coverage varies by vendor and type. Therefore, all travelers should call their insurance company and ask about coverage in the destination countries. The U.S. Department of State suggests some questions to ask your insurer, including:

  • Does my plan cover emergency expenses abroad such as returning me to the United States for treatment if I become seriously ill?
  • Do you require pre-authorizations or second opinions before emergency treatment can begin?
  • Do you guarantee medical payments abroad?

The university recommends travelers ask how the billing and payment for any services provided overseas will be handled and what paperwork you may need to make a claim. Travelers should request a full summary of benefits out of country.

If you have questions about university provided travel insurance, please email Risk Services at

Read more FAQ's