There are a number of resources and networks in place through Northeastern University that provide support and assistance when an individual is facing a challenge while traveling, regardless of how large or small the situation may be. Travelers are not alone and have the benefit of considerable assistance twenty-four hours a day.

Northeastern Travelers must be aware of local emergency numbers and contact information of their nearest embassy or consulate in the destination country or region.  Travelers should contact the local emergency services of the destination country when presented with a life threatening emergency.  The following Northeastern resources are able to help or direct you to the appropriate assistance:

  • Northeastern University Police Department (NUPD) 24/7 Dispatch Line: Emergency Number +1.617.373.3333 or Non-Emergency +1.617.373.2121.
  • WorldAware Operation Center: +1.312.470.3108 or via email Please call the WorldAware phone number if you need immediate assistance.  WorldAware, powered by iJET, can help find local hospitals and provide basic travel assistance.
  • WeCare: Office number during Boston Campus business hours +1.617.373.4384 or via email If you would like to contact a member of the We Care team directly, please check out the Our Team page for contact information.
  • University Health and Counseling Services (UHCS): Office number during Boston Campus business hours +1.617.373.2772 or via
  • Office of Gender Equity and Compliance (OGEC): Office number during Boston Campus business hours +1.617.373.4644. Title IX complaints can also be submitted online or via email  The office of Gender Equality and Compliance addresses issues surrounding Title IX prohibited offenses, such as sexual harassment, sexual assault, stalking, intimate partner violence, domestic violence, and gender-based harassment that occurs anywhere members of the Northeastern community travel.
  • Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion (OIDI): Office numbers during Boston Campus business hours +1.617.373.2133, fax +1.617.373.4146 and email

FAQ's for Emergency Assistance

Yes.  The University provides coverage for accidents (including repatriation) that occur while you are away on a university-sponsored program or work-related activity, but does not cover you for routine sickness or medical needs while you are out of the country.

The Policy on International Travel requires "All students undertaking University-sponsored International Travel must possess personal health insurance that meets minimum standards as prescribed by the university."  Personal health insurance coverage varies by vendor and type. Therefore, all travelers should call their insurance company and ask about coverage in the destination countries. The U.S. Department of State suggests some questions to ask your insurer, including:

  • Does my plan cover emergency expenses abroad such as returning me to the United States for treatment if I become seriously ill?
  • Do you require pre-authorizations or second opinions before emergency treatment can begin?
  • Do you guarantee medical payments abroad?

The university recommends travelers ask how the billing and payment for any services provided overseas will be handled and what paperwork you may need to make a claim. Travelers should request a full summary of benefits out of country.

If you have questions about university provided travel insurance, please email Risk Services at


The university provides traveler on sponsored programs with emergency response resources.  In the event of a university travelers needs assistance, call one of the following options:

  1. The local emergency number.  Travelers should fully understand the capabilities of the host nation prior to arriving at your destination.  Email to request information about a host nation's emergency services.
  2. Call WorldAware's 24/7 Response Operations Center (ROC) at +1 312.470.3108.  The ROC will connect travelers with health and safety resources around the world.
  3. Northeastern Police at the non-emergency number +1.617.373.2121 or emergency number +1.617.373.3333.

If traveling in an organized trip (e.g., Dialogue, Alternative Spring Break etc.) contact your trip leader to information them about the emergency.  The trip leader is responsible for completing an incident report once the emergency has subsided.

If you are not part of a group (e.g., Coop, study abroad, meeting etc.), call Northeastern Police at the non-emergency number +1.617.373.2121 or emergency number +1.617.373.3333. NUPD will then contact the other appropriate offices or organizations who can further assist you in managing the emergency.  NUPD will ensure your program advisor, supervisor, or department chair is aware of the incident and complete an incident report.


WorldAware is Northeastern University’s 24/7 assistance program.  WorldAware coordinates the university's various international assistance and travel benefits for NU students, faculty and staff traveling on university-sponsored programs.  For more information visit the WorldAware webpage.



Immediately ask to speak with a representative from the nearest embassy or consulate of your country of citizenship if you are arrested for any reason. Locations of U.S. Embassies may be found on their website. Embassy information worldwide for all travelers may be found at


Contact NUPD at the non-emergency number +1.617.373.2121 or emergency number +1.617.373.3333, local law enforcement, WorldAware and/or your embassy or consulate. When a traveler is the victim of a crime overseas, he or she may suffer from physical, emotional or financial injuries. It can be more difficult because the victim may be in unfamiliar surroundings, and may not know the local language or customs.The University offers these resources and is available to assist 24/7.