How to Install or update the Virtual Print Client Software on your Computer
CAUTION: If you are updating your Virtual Print Client software, you must uninstall the previous version before installing the update.
The Virtual Print Client software is needed to send files to a printer in an IS-managed computer lab. The software can be found in the Software Downloads link on myNEU.
NOTE: You must be a local administrator on your computer to install software.
To download Virtual Print Client software on your own computer:
- Go to myNEU, Self-Service tab.
- In the Study and Course Resources click on Software Downloads link.
NOTE: Faculty and staff go to myNEU, Services and Links tab, Faculty/Staff Services to find the Software Downloads link.
- Select the Virtual Print Client software for your computer from myNEU.
- If you selected the Windows version, you need to choose the 32-bit or 64-bit versions to match your computer’s operating system.
- If you selected the Mac version, there is only one option.
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- Click on Download.
To install the software on a Windows computer:
- Click the downloaded package.
- Click the Install button to begin the installation.
- When the installation has completed, click Finish.
- Verify the printer has been installed by going to Start –> Devices and Printers. You should see:
HP BW Printer Remote.
If you receive any Tamper Protection Alert messages related to Pharos installation, click the Close button.
To install the software on a Mac:
- The software will be downloaded under the name Popup.pkg.
- Double click on Popup.pkg to install the printers.
- When the Popup installer window opens, click on Continue and follow the instructions.
NOTE: To start the installation you may be asked to enter your Mac username and password. This is NOT your myNEU username and password.
- When the installation is completed, click Close.
- Verify the printer has been installed by going to System Preferences –> Printers and Faxes. You should see:
HP BW Printer Remote
- Once you have installed the software, reboot and you are ready to print.
How to UNInstall the Virtual Print Client Software on your Computer, before updating the software
Before installing a new version of the Virtual Print Client software, you must uninstall the previous version.
To uninstall the Virtual Print Client Software on a Windows computer:
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Click Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows 7).
- Select the Virtual Print Client software.
- On the Select Option window, click Run Uninstaller and follow the prompts.
To uninstall the Virtual Print Client Software on a Mac:
- Navigate to /library/application support/pharos/utilities using the Go –> Go to Folder option within Finder.
- Select the Pharos Popup and remove the file.
NOTE: After uninstalling on either type of computer, reboot the computer. Then you may go to myNEU Software Downloads to install the updated version.