The Appointment Calendar allows advisors and other staff members to setup availability for student appointments, walk-ins, or other "appointment blocks". Students can then access this availability and book individual "appointment entries" with the advisors via a link on the myNEU Portal. We are currently working on training videos about the features of the tool, which will be posted in the Training Videos for Advisor Use and Training Videos for Student Use sections on this webpage.
If you are an advisor or NU staff member, and are interested in getting access to use this tool, please see the Appointment Calendar – Advisor/Staff Access Information page.
- Browser Compatibility
- Advisor Tool Requirements
- Training Videos for Advisor Use
- Training Videos for Student Use
- Known Issues
- Technical Help and Feedback
The following browsers have been tested for compatibility when using the Appointment Calendar student application and Salesforce.com. Other browsers may not perform as expected:
- Internet Explorer 7.x and 8.x
- Firefox 3.x
- Safari 4.x
Advisor Tool Requirements
Advisors wishing to use the Appointment Calendar have the choice of using at least one of the following tools:
- Outlook 2007
- Outlook 2010
- Outlook Web Access (Internet Explorer only)
- Outlook 2011
Training Videos for Advisor Use
Please watch the following training videos for important tips and tricks when using the Appointment Calendar as an advisor or other staff member:
- First, watch an introduction to Salesforce.com
- Next, see how to setup and make changes to your calendar profile within Salesforce.com
- Learn how to create and modify your availability in Outlook with appointment blocks
- Set up out of office time in Outlook that can be viewed by students in the calendar
- Also, see how to schedule group meetings for multiple students to book into
- Ever wonder what to do when you receive a meeting request during an appointment block? Learn how to reserve time within a block
- See how you can create and modify appointment entries within Outlook on behalf of students, alumni, or others
- Alternatively, create walk-in and adhoc appointment entries when you meet with students
- Watch this video to see how to mark a student as a no show for their scheduled appointment
- Watch this video to learn how to cancel blocks and entries one-off. (Please note that watching the next video -see below- will show you how to cancel many at once!)
- Learn all the features of the Salesforce.com day at a glance view including cancelling many appointments at once
- See how to manage appointments in Salesforce.com and set the appointment type and format
Training Videos for Student Use
Please watch the following training videos for important tips and tricks when using the Appointment Calendar as a student:
- First, see how to get started with the appointment calendar
- Next, view an advisor’s profile and learn about the different types of appointments
- Learn how to schedule and cancel appointments with advisors
Please keep in mind the following features when using the Appointment Calendar:
- While recurring meetings can be created and managed from within Salesforce.com, they are much easier and more intuitive when created and modified within Outlook. We therefore recommend using Outlook to manage recurring appointment blocks.
The following questions and answers may help as you get started using the Appointment Calendar:
- As an advisor, I’m more comfortable using Outlook to manage my appointments; do I need to use Salesforce.com?
All users must have a Salesforce.com license to use the Appointment Calendar, but the tool was designed for users to choose whether they wanted to primarily use Outlook or Salesforce.com based on their personal preferences. Your calendar profile is only accessible from within Salesforce.com, but once setup, you can choose to only use Outlook going forward. However, we do think you might find value in the additional information that you can obtain from Salesforce.com – it’s up to you!
- I’m a Mac user, what options do I have for using the Appointment Calendar?
Mac users have two options – Outlook 2011 (please contact the Service Desk if you don’t have this installed but would like it), or using Salesforce.com exclusively.
- As an advisor, how far out can students see my availability?
Students can view the next three weeks of availability for advisors who use the Appointment Calendar. If you have the same availability every week for student appointments and walk-ins, you are free to setup recurring meetings within Outlook and they will display within the three week window.
- As a student, my advisor doesn’t look like they have any availability. Why?
Your advisor may be fully booked and look like they don’t have any blocks of time scheduled for appointments. In a future version of this tool, we will show when your advisors had blocks that are completely booked, but currently this is not the case. Until then, be sure to check the following week(s) to see if there are any open slots. You can contact your advisor using their email address listed in the application for questions about scheduling.
- My advisor isn’t listed in my calendar shortcuts, and I can’t find them using the filters provided. Help!
Currently, not all colleges use the Appointment Calendar. Please ask your advisor if they are a user and you can’t locate their calendar in the tool.
- Can students book same-day appointments or view an advisor’s availability for today?
No, students cannot book a same-day appointment. In fact, scheduling closes after 5pm the day prior. For example, at 7pm on Monday, I will be able to book an appointment on Wednesday, but not on Tuesday. As a result, open appointments past the deadline are not viewable from the student application unless categorized as walk-in appointment blocks.
Technical Help & Feedback
Need technical help, or have a question that isn’t addressed on this site? You can reach the IS Service Desk using several methods:
- Send email to email@example.com
- Phone support is available at 617.373.HELP (x4357)
- Report an issue online from https://northeastern.service-now.com
Are there features you would like to see incorporated in the next release of the Appointment Calendar? Do you have other feedback? Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org