Operating system upgrades are available through iTunes on your computer connected to the internet (using a wired or wireless network connection). New functions and features are available in the upgrades. Note: to check the operating system version on your iPhone or iPad, go to the Settings menu and select General – About.
To get the iOS 4.2.1 upgrade:
- Go to iTunes on your computer and select your device
- On the summary window, there is a section called version
- In that section, click the check for update button
- Follow the prompts
The operating system best suited for any iPhone or iPad running on Northeastern’s virtual private network (VPN) is iOS 4.2.1. This operating system features include multi-tasking and better integration with other Apple devices and products.
Features available on iOS 4.2.1 are:
- FaceTime improvements
- Web page text search in Safari
- New font settings in Notes
- AirPrint and AirPlay
- SMS/MMS text tones and the ability to use custom tones for your contacts
- Parental controls
- Added .ics files importing capabilities to Calendar
- Ability to change the font size of the text in the Calendar using Accessibility settings
- Fixes intermittent Wi-Fi issues, VoIP issues, and other bug fixes.