When you connect to Northeastern’s network resources, you can use the Cisco AnyConnect iPhone/iPad application to have end-to-end encrypted access from either device to Northeastern’s Virtual Private Network (VPN).
The instructions for installing the VPN client on the iPhone and iPad are listed below. Please note that iPhones/iPads and all mobile devices have a high-theft potential. Any mobile device with a VPN client installed could be used to steal, compromise or damage University data. Protect your mobile device by setting a Passcode Lock PIN to ensure that the device cannot be misused if lost. Be mindful about maintaining possession of your mobile device(s) at all times and report any loss of a mobile device to Information Security (firstname.lastname@example.org) and NU Public Safety (617-373-2696).
- Review the following System Requirements:
- Check the operating system version on your iPhone or iPad in your Settings menu. Go to Settings – General – About.
- If you are using an iPad, you must use the iOS version 4.2.1 for the iPad. This new version of the iOS provides more reliable support for VPN use. You can download this upgrade by going to the iTunes website and selecting the upgrade. Be sure to select Backup and Upgrade to ensure your device is backed up before the upgrade begins. For more information, view the Upgrade your iPhone or iPad Operating System page.
- Install the free ‘Cisco AnyConnect’ iPhone or iPad application:
- From the iTunes website where any application available for both devices includes a plus sign (+) on the price button.NOTE: If you use iTunes on your computer, you will need to select your device (iPhone or iPad) which MUST be plugged into your computer during this installation, click Apps, then check Cisco AnyConnect and apply to install the application.
- Or, by tapping the App Store icon on your iPhone/iPad and selecting AnyConnect.
Note: AnyConnect appears as an iPhone-only application on the AppStore. AnyConnect works with both the iPad and the iPhone. By clicking buy and then install, it will install on your iPad.
- Tap the AnyConnect icon that will appear on your screen to open the application after it is installed.
- Tap Add VPN Connection…
- Enter a description to identify this connection, e.g., Northeastern.
- In the server address box, enter remote.neu.edu
- Leave the remainder of the settings at their defaults and tap Save.
- Use the On/Off switch to connect or disconnect.
- Select the Faculty-Staff group.
- Enter your username and password. Your username and password are those you use to connect to your web email account.
- Tap Connect.
- Read the Appropriate Use Policy message and tap ‘Accept’ to complete the connection.
If you have any questions or problems, contact the IS Help Line at (617) 373-4357 (xHELP) or email email@example.com or submit an online request for assistance via myHelp. A link to myHelp is available at the top of any page on this website.