Students, faculty and staff have printing allowances where, free of charge, they may print in NU Information Services managed computer labs on campus as part of the Free Print Allowance program.
- What is the Free Print Allowance Program and how does it work?
- What are the benefits of a Free Print Allowance Program?
- How much will this cost me?
- How many free prints do I get?
- Who is eligible for a free print account?
- I am taking a class that spans 2 print periods. How many pages will I get?
- Where can I use my free print allowance?
- Will I be warned that I am running out of pages in my allowance?
- How can I check my free print allowance?
- What happens when I exceed my free print allowance?
- Will my unused (free allowance) prints from one print period roll over into the next print period?
- Can I borrow prints from a future print period?
- What happens when there is a printer jam, error, poor quality output or my print is missing?
- Under what circumstances will a claim for print credit not be honored?
- How long will my print out be retained?
- How were print allowances determined? How did you come up with the cost for additional pages?
- Can I print double sided?
- How can I make the best use of my free print allowance?
- I am a faculty member. How can I help students conserve paper?
- I just got notified that my myNEU account is about to expire. Will I still have access to my print allowance after my myNEU account is gone?
- How do I install the Virtual Print Client Software?
What is the Free Print Allowance Program and how does it work?
Once you are logged in, (you must login with NUnet credentials at the labs) you can choose to print like you normally do (just click the print icon to print). When you are ready to collect your print outs, access the nearest open printer, swipe your Husky card and choose the print jobs you would like. The print accounting program will run in the background and all pages that you print will be charged against your free print allowance.
Students printing from IS lab desktops will have up to 6 hours to print their materials. Students printing remotely on or off campus, using a program they download to their workstation, will have 36 hours to print their materials. There is no limit to the number printed documents a student can have in the queue.
- Continuing the allowance program which, when initiated in 2007, reduced InfoCommons printing by approximately 50% along with the associated environmental impact.
- There will no longer be a need for cover pages which, today, are immediately recycled.
- The wait time to receive printed output will be reduced.
- The ‘print from anywhere’ capability will better serve our increasingly mobile student customers.
- The program will be expanded, over time, to other printing locations and university student computer labs.
How many free prints do I get?
Undergraduate, graduate, faculty and staff receive $120 in free print credits to be used throughout the entire academic year.
There is no rollover of prints; you cannot accumulate pages across print periods.
Who is eligible for a free print account?
All Northeastern University faculty, staff with NUnet credentials and students with myNEU credentials have free print accounts. This includes recent graduates who still have myNEU credentials during the academic year they graduate.
- Snell Library Infocommons
- Curry Student Center – Ground, First (2 locations), and Third floors
- 54 Dodge Hall
- Curry Student Center
- 301 Dodge – Business Graduate Students Only
- International Village – Residents Only
- Digital Media Lab in 202, 203 – Media Students Only
- Broad Street
- 5 Hayden
I am taking a class that spans two print periods. How many pages will I get?
Undergraduate students enrolled in a course that spans across two of the print periods will receive their free print allowance in each of the print periods as long as they maintain their myNEU credentials.
Will I be warned that I am running out of pages?
If you do not have enough pages to print a job, your Husky Dollars will be accessed at $.10 cents a page. You will also have access via myNEU to check your free print account at any time.
What happens when I exceed my free print allowance?
Students can purchase additional pages by adding to your Husky Dollars, as Husky Dollars will be used if you exceed your allowance. Any additional pages will be charged to your Husky Card. You may monitor your print allowance and add Husky Dollars as needed.
Will my unused (free allowance) prints from one print period roll over into the next print period?
No. Free print allowances will be reset at the start of each print period and previous balances will not be carried over.
What happens when there is a printer jam, error, poor quality output or my print is missing?
You should visit the front desk at the InfoCommons where IS will assist you in reprinting your material or give you a refund. You will be asked to submit the sample of the bad output as proof of the problem. The monitor will then review your claim and your account will be credited at the discretion of the monitor. All claims must be made within 24 hours. Refunds will be in the form of a print credit only.
- Not picking up a job from the printer
- Printing the wrong document
- Accidentally hitting the print button
- Printing with the wrong page orientation (landscape vs. portrait)
- Too many copies of the same document
- You forget to log off the computer and someone else prints as you
How was the print allowance determined? How did you come up with the cost for additional pages?
The goal of the free print allowance program was to minimize service disruptions within the InfoCommons labs due to excess wasteful printing. The print allowance and page cost were established after careful consideration and review of multiple years’ worth of printing data. The final allocation was chosen to ensure a basic level of support could be provided to all who required it, to provide an incentive for responsible use of a limited resource and to provide a reasonable cost for those who needed to purchase additional pages.
We consulted other schools with similar programs to ensure its print allowance and additional page charges were in line with other universities. Information Services also worked closely with the Student Government Association to choose a recommended amount that would ensure students have an adequate number of pages to meet academic needs and an allowance that would also discourage wasteful printing.
How can I make the best use of my free print allowance?
Information Services provides several strategies for minimizing the number of pages you print. Visit our Printing Tips page to find out more about saving paper.
I am a faculty member. How can I help students conserve paper?
When you assign students to download materials from online resources, please remember that students do not have unlimited free printing. You can prepare your materials to have minimal impact on student print allowances. Please review our Free Print Allowance FAQs and Printing Tips page to find out how you can help reduce wasted paper on campus.
I just got notified that my myNEU account is about to expire. Will I still have access to my print allowance after my myNEU account is gone?
No. After you lose access to myNEU, you will not have access to any free or paid prints in IS managed labs.