IDEA: Northeastern University’s Venture Accelerator works with over 125 active ventures; some of these are in the first stages of development, and some are ready to launch. But they all have something in common: they are innovative, hardworking, and determined. Here are five of IDEA’s ventures to keep on your radar for this coming year.
1. Handle Bar: Handle Bar was founded by Jessica Bashelor (above),a 2010 Northeastern graduate, when she opened South Boston’s first indoor spin studio this past summer. The Handle Bar is a unique studio in that it offers the option to take classes one-by-one, rather than committing to a package or subscription. Jessica was named one of Bostinno’s 50 on Fire this past December, so make sure to look out for what’s in store for Handle Bar!
2. PreApps: Speaking of apps, are you ever overwhelmed by the sheer abundance of apps available and coming soon to the app store? PreApps is your one-stop-shop to discover and review new apps, even before they arrive to the App Store. PreApps, co-founded by Sean Casto (above), has been named Microsoft’s Spotlight Partner for 2014, and IDEA is expecting big things out of them!
3. Photos to Photos: The idea for Photos to Photos was conjured up after founders Matthew and Chuck played the classic game Apples to Apples. Photos to Photos is a social mobile app where users choose the best photo to match a describing word. Photos to Photos is expecting to be available for iPhone App Store download this February!
4. reweave: reweave is an organization aiming to empower and enable others by providing market access and investment to people all over the world through an educational online marketplace. reweave’s founder Abhi Nangia was named one of Boston.com’s 25 under 25. In 2014, reweave plans to grow its team, as well as share the stories of their partners around the world.
5. Tablelist: Tablelist is another mobile app that allows you to book a table at nightclubs and lounges in a more convenient and frugal manner. The app takes otherwise unbooked tables and makes them available to app users, even allowing them to split the bill if necessary. On January 17, Tablelist is offering a “happy hour of epic proportions” to those who download the app and follow these directions from their blog. Good luck, and happy partying!
For more on IDEA’s ventures, please visit our website.