Does Co-op Equal Career?
The purpose of this session is to provide students with an understanding of the importance of Co-op (and other work experiences) in relation to their future career choices.
This session should include: a discussion about matching interests and abilities to co-op positions to find an appropriate fit. Students will also learn about the variety of resources available on campus to assist them in finding and acquiring a co-op position. Students will also receive a lesson on being professional during the interviewing process from start to finish. There should be a discussion about appropriate cover letter and resume construction, as well as tips to improve interviewing skills.
- Students will be able to articulate the significance of the co-op experience in relation to a future career path, by using information provided to begin conceptualizing how to match their skills with co-op positions.
- Students will be able to identify resources available on campus to assist them in finding a co-op position.
- Students will display knowledge of what characteristics a strong resume or cover letter possesses.
- Students will employ effective and professional interviewing skills.
- Appraise and relate the co-op experience to short and long term goals by evaluating the experience and determining how it matches up to the desired career path.