Volunteering at the HOBY World Leadership Congress

This past summer, I was lucky enough to be chosen as part of the volunteer staff at the Hugh O’ Brian Youth (HOBY) World Leadership Congress in Chicago. The HOBY World Leadership Congress is a week-long conference for sophomores from all over the world. I attended the conference myself in 2010, and since then I have known that HOBY is an organization I definitely wanted to stay involved with. HOBY is a non-profit organization that instills the importance of leadership and community service in high school students.

Volunteering with HOBY was such a rewarding experience – it has helped me become a better leader, and it has also introduced me to people from all around the world. The values of leadership and community service that have become so important to me over the past few years with HOBY, have also encouraged me to become involved on campus here at Northeastern. Currently, I am on the E-Board of Northeastern’s National Residence Hall honorary (NRHH), the top 1% of leaders on campus. NRHH stands on four pillars- leadership, community service, scholastics, and recognition. I know that I would not have been so inspired to join NRHH and become a bigger part of Northeastern’s community without the influence of my past volunteering experiences. HOBY has made me a lot more confident and driven in so many aspects of my life. It has inspired me to make a difference in my community, and for that reason I have been so inclined to stay involved and continue to volunteer for the past 3 years.

My volunteer experience with HOBY this past summer would not have been possible without the generosity of the Honors Program, and I am so thankful and cannot wait to continue volunteering in the future!

Shilpa Taneja, Behavioral Neuroscience