Northeastern offers an education that resonates.
Graduate Education at Northeastern integrates the highest level of scholarship across disciplinary boundaries with significant research and experiential learning opportunities. This multidimensional learning environment develops students’ critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills while introducing them to new perspectives in their fields. As a result, graduates of our doctoral, master’s, and professional degree programs are well prepared for the diverse demands of careers in academia, industry, and the professions.
Institutional accomplishments include:
- As of April 2011, received 11,450 graduate applications for fall 2011 admission; a record high and 17.8 percent increase over the same time in 2010
- Received nearly 10,395 graduate applications for fall 2010 admission; a record high and a two-year increase of 21.8 percent
- Enrolled 1,995 new graduate students in the fall 2010, a historic high, and a 23.1 percent increase over the fall 2008 class
- International Students enrolled from 125 countries
- 204 exceptional scholars joined the faculty since 2006
- Established new graduate-degree programs in regulatory science, health informatics, information assurance and bioengineering that align with major global issues of health, security and sustainability
- Rapidly growing research funding: in 2006, the University received $48.7 million in grants; in 2010, Northeastern received almost $82 million in grants and awards, including:
- $13 million over five years from the National Cancer Institute to establish the Center for Translational Cancer Nanomedicine
- $12.6 million renewal grant from the National Science Foundation to continue research in translating nanoscale scientific processes into commercially viable technologies
- $10.2 million from the National Institutes of Health to identify and address health disparities among vulnerable populations
- $8.4 million from the Department of Energy and the Department of Defense for renewable energy research
- $5.5 million in two grants from the National Science Foundation to support the University's two successful Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship (IGERT) programs in nanomedicine and in intelligent diagnostics
- Report on the research productivity of faculty in PhD programs nationwide placed five of Northeastern’s programs in the top 20: counseling psychology and criminal justice, tied at 10th; pharmaceutical sciences, 11th; mechanical engineering, 18th; and computer engineering, 19th
- Since 2006, more than 10,000 students performed over 480,000 hours of local service; the School of Law provides 2,000 hours of pro bono legal work annually
- Since 2006, the University has established 34 alumni chapters, including international, domestic and employer-based chapters
- From fall 2006 to 2009, graduate-program enrollments increased 88 percent among African American students, 66 percent among Latino students and 69 percent among Asian students
- Northeastern was ranked 69 in the 2010 U.S. News & World Report annual ranking of colleges and universities. Northeastern is up 29 positions in four years, the largest increase of any school ranked in the top 100
- The Princeton Review ranked Northeastern's career-services efforts the best in the nation
- Offered lectures by renowned performing artists and authors, including Academy Award-nominated filmmaker Spike Lee, Academy Award nominee Mira Nair, Pulitzer Prize-winning author and journalist Geraldine Brook, and U.S. Poet Laureate Charles Simic
- The Research & Scholarship Expo drew 300 poster presentations, the largest number in its ten-year history
- More than 165 programs in eight colleges
- Informed by experience
Many of our programs include an experiential component that integrates theory with practice in the form of internships, practica, and co-operative education placements.
- Integrated across disciplines
Recognizing society’s increasing complexity and interdependence, we have strengthened our many interdisciplinary programs with recent commitments to new faculty, centers of research excellence, and enhanced academic programs.
- Renowned for research
Northeastern researchers conduct world-class research in such diverse pursuits as drug discovery, high-rate nanoscale manufacturing, urban housing policy, and land mine detection.
- Committed to success
Northeastern graduates comprise a valuable network of contacts in the professional and academic arenas, and serve on the faculties of universities across the country.
- Exceptional setting
Northeastern offers the ultimate urban campus: the green spaces and tree-lined pathways of a traditional college campus combined with the energy and diversity of a university set in the heart of a vibrant city. Located between the Museum of Fine Arts and Symphony Hall on Boston’s Avenue of the Arts, our 73-acre main campus is a center of dynamic intellectual, social, and cultural activity.