Northeastern is a world leader in use-inspired, interdisciplinary research that yields effective solutions to societal problems, with a focus on global challenges in health, security, and sustainability. This research has direct and profound policy implications. Policymakers are encouraged to call on Northeastern faculty to serve as experts before Congressional committees, federal and state agencies, or in other capacities.
Use-Inspired Research :
Northeastern is a wellspring of innovation, with multidisciplinary research teams focused on solving the complex problems of our society. “Northeastern’s commitment to use-inspired research ensures that new ideas, knowledge, and discoveries are available to meet a wide range of critical needs, particularly in health, sustainability, and security,” says President Joseph Aoun. “Our considerable expertise and distinctive approach to research are transforming some of society’s most pressing issues.”
If you would like more in-depth information on each of these research areas, visit our research briefs page.
A Sampling of Northeastern Researchers
Below are links to short videos of Northeastern University researchers, from all different disciplines, discussing their particular area of focus and questions about their work.
- Lisa Feldman Barrett, distinguished Professor of Psychology, discusses her research on how gossip influences perception.
- Jerome Hajjar, Professor and chair of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, discusses innovative research to develop new types of buildings and bridge systems that can help cities withstand hazards such as earthquakes and hurricanes.
- Steve Vollmer, Assistant Professor of Biology, discusses his research on the spread of White Band Disease throughout coral reefs as well as his findings on its prevention.
- Carey Rappaport, Electrical and computer engineering professor, is researching the next wave of technologies that can detect explosives being concealed on a person's body.
- Heather Clark, Associate Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences, explains her work developing nanosensors that are placed under the skin and fluoresce to indicate a patient's sodium and glucose levels - which could one day be monitored via a smartphone.
- Dagmar Sternad, Professor of Biology, discusses her research how the brain controls functional movement - data that can then be used to help those with neurological disorders.
- Deb Franco, Professor of counseling and applied psychology, has developed a web application called BodiMojo that helps youth improve their body image and live healthier lives.
- Iris Berent, Professor of Psychology in the College of Science, researches the ability to identify sounds as speech, finding that it is linguistic structures as opposed to acoustic properties that distinguish language.
- Joseph Reagle, Assistant Professor Communications Studies, researches the gender gap in collaborative culture and online communities, like Wikipedia.
- Ramiro Martinez, Jr. , Professor in Criminology and Criminal Justice and in Sociology and Anthropology, examines the dynamics of drug violence.
A Sampling of Northeastern Research Centers and Institutes
- Antimicrobial Discovery Center (ADC)
- Barnett Institute of Chemical and Biological Analysis
- Center for Awareness and Localization of Explosives-Related Threats (ALERT)*
- DHS Center of Excellence
- Center for Complex Network Research (CCNR)
- Center for Drug Discovery (CDD)
- Center for Health Organization Transformation (CHOT)
- Center for High-rate Nanomanufacturing (CHN)*
- NSF Nanoscale Science and Engineering Center
- Center on Population Health and Health Disparities (CPHH)
- Center for Translational Cancer Nanomedicine (CTCN)
- National Cancer Institute Center of Cancer Nanotechnology Excellence
- Center for Translational NeuroImaging (CTNI)
- Center for Versatile Onboard Traffic Embedded Roaming Sensors (VOTERS)*
- NIST Technology Innovation Center
- Dukakis Center for Urban and Regional Policy (CURP)
- Gordon Center for Subsurface Sensing and Imaging Systems (CenSSIS)*
- NSF Engineering Research Center
- Institute for Information Assurance (IIA)*
- NSA Center of Excellence in Information Assurance Research (cyber security)
- Institute on Urban Health Research (IUHR)
- Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship Programs (IGERT)*
- Nanomedicine, Science, and Technology, 2005, NSF and NCI
- Intelligent Diagnostics for Aging Civil Infrastructure Systems, 2007, NSF
- Marine Science Center (MSC)
- New England Healthcare Engineering Partnership*
- VHA Veterans Engineering Resource Center
- Northeastern University Center for Renewable Energy Technology (NUCRET)
*National research centers