- November 14, 2012: President Joseph E. Aoun joined 15 additional leaders of Boston-area research institutions to write to the members if the Massachusetts Congressional delegation urging them to safegaurd research funding.
- January 26, 2012: President Joseph E. Aoun, led eleven other university leaders from across the nation in advocating for funding for science and technology research at the Department of Homeland Security. The presidents and chancellors sent a letter to Secretary Janet Napolitano, expressing their support for federal funding for the DHS Science and Technology (S&T) Directorate.
- December 19, 2011:Senior officials from five universities, including Northeastern, sign a letter to U.S. Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property, David Kappos, urging for Boston to be selected as a location for the next United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) satellite office.
- September 20, 2011:President Joseph E. Aoun, along with university leaders in Massachusetts, congratulates Senator Kerry on his appointment to the Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction., the "Super Committee," and urges him to work to preserve funding for research and education.
- March 29, 2011: In a letter to the Massachusetts delegation, University leaders in MA, including President Joseph E. Aoun, express concern over budget cuts to research and student financial aid.
- March 7, 2011: President Joseph E. Aoun urges Senators John Kerry and Scott Brown to preserve funding for homeland security research.
- February 9, 2011: President Joseph E. Aoun works with leaders in higher education from around the country to strengthen the federal Perkins Loan Program.
- May 12, 2010: President Joseph E. Aoun urges Senator Scott Brown to support the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act.
- April 28, 2010: In a letter to Labor Secretary Hilda L. Solis, President Joseph E. Aoun highlights the critical importance of internships and experiential learning in higher education.