Recruitment Guidelines

During the recruitment process you may ask only two questions regarding visa status or the ability to work in the United States, and if asked, these questions should be asked of all candidates:

Once you have made an offer and it has been accepted, you may then inquire as to the person’s visa status and work authorization and work with the Office of the General Counsel to determine if sponsorship may be required.

Information on visa and immigration issues for students

By law, students in F-1 or J-1 status may work no more than 20 hours per week either on or off campus.  Students who qualify for co-op positions may with advance permission work full-time as part of their co-op assignment but must revert to no more than 20 hours once the co-op term ends. The hiring of all students is handled by the Student Employment Office.

Sponsorship for permanent residency

The University automatically sponsors tenure-track or tenured faculty for permanent resident status ("green card").  All other positions are subject to review and approval by the Dean and the Senior Vice President of the area in which an employee works.  There are several avenues and categories available to apply for permanent residency and each request is reviewed on a case by case basis. For more information, please see our Policy on Employment-Based Immigration Sponsorship (PDF).

Immigration Resources

IMPORTANT: All non-U.S. citizens must properly notify USCIS of any change of address within 10 days of that address change. This can be done online via USCIS' website.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services: For general information about U.S. immigration laws and policies, to check the status of a pending case (please note that you need the receipt number of the case) or the processing dates of applications.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection: For information on documents required for entry to the U.S at land, air and sea ports.

U.S. Social Security Administration: To locate a local Social Security Office to update immigration status/work authorization information.

U.S. Department of State: For general information about travel to and from the U.S.:

Immigration FAQs

Contact Information

Faculty and staff with questions about work authorization and other employment-related immigration issues can contact the Office of the General Counsel, (617) 373-2157.

Foreign national petition forms

International Business Visitor Documents