Playful Virtual Characters Workshop 2014
This workshop is part of the IVA Conference 2014. It focuses on Playful Virtual Characters.
The workshop will be a full day workshop held Tuesday August 26, 2014.
Room: 442 Curry Center
This activity-based workshop is about Characters that can be described as Playful. We focus on narrative characters that can be part of a story or standalone characters and have history, goals, rich complex personality, and attitudes. The workshop will borrow from theatre improvisation and Live Action Role-Playing games (LARPs) to define playful virtual characters and situate the context for a rich interaction about what it means to develop such narrative and personality for rich playful characters.
- 9:00-9:15 – Welcome
- 9:15-10:30 – Introductions
- 10:30-11:00 – Coffee break in Room
- 11:00-12:00 – Improv Theatre of the Oppressed Workshop
- 12:30-2:00 – Lunch at Curry food court (West Addition’s Mezzanine)
- 2:00-3:00 – Panel 1: Use of Playful Virtual Characters
- 3:00-3:30 – Coffee Break in Room
- 3:30-4:30 – Panel 2: What is Playful in Playful Virtual Characters?
- 4:30-6:00 – LARP Workshop
- 6:30-9:00 – Group Dinner TBD
- Magy Seif El-Nasr, Associate Professor & Director, Northeastern University
- Alessandro Canossa, Associate Professor, Northeastern University
- Casper Harteveld, Assistant Professor, Northeastern University
- Lizzie Stark, Journalist, editor, and author of Leaving Mundania, a nonfiction book about Larp
- Diana Arellano, R&D, Institute of Animation, Visual Effects, and DIgital Postproduction
- Carmille Barot, Research Scientist, NCSU
- Morteza Behrooz, PhD Student, UCSC
- Matthew Gray, Assistant Professor, Northeastern University
- Steve Grehl, Graduate Student, Technische Universität Bergakademie Freiberg, Germany
- Justin Permar, Graduate Student, Georgia Tech
- Jens Nirme, Graduate Student, Lund University
- Stefan Rank, Assistant Professor, Drexel University
- Brad Thibodeau, Director of Faculty and Operations, Guard Up! Inc
- David Vogt, PhD Student, Technische Universität Bergakademie Freiberg, Germany
- Jichen Zhu, Assistant Professor, Drexel University