External Private Resources
Students may be eligible for a variety of aid programs independent of Northeastern and the federal/state aid processes. There are many resources available to you. A number of local organizations make money available each year. Many statewide and national organizations and corporations also have funds available for students who meet their criteria.
Note: You must report all private sources of student financial aid to the Northeastern University Office of Student Financial Services in writing. Outside awards are considered part of your aid package, and in most cases will be applied first to unmet financial need, then to replace loans and/or work-study, and if necessary, to reduce institutional grants and/or scholarships.
If you have a scholarship payment, please forward it to the address below. If the external organization requires a billing statement or other verification from the University, please send a copy of the organization's request to the address below:
Student Financial Services
ATTN: General Scholarship, 354 Richards Hall
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115-5000
Finding Outside Scholarships
Your local library
A trip to your local library will find many scholarship books available that contain the addresses of scholarship programs. It requires some work on your part (applications, essays, etc.), but a few hours of your time could yield valuable information and lead to additional funding for your education. Locally, The Higher Education Information Center, located in the basement of the Boston Public Library in Copley Square, has numerous resources available to help you find outside aid, including a computerized database of scholarships.
- The SmartStudent Guide to Financial Aid
- The College Board's Scholarship Search
- U.S. Department of Education's Scholarship Wizard
- Peterson’s Scholarship Search
- CollegeNET Scholarship Search
- College Scholarships.org
- College Scholarship Search
- Next Student Scholarship Search Engine
Remember that all scholarship information is available to you free of charge! Be extremely wary of any organization or company that asks you for a “finder’s fee” or “guarantees” that they can find you aid. Any reputable scholarship organization will not charge you a penny for this information.
The above list is provided to you as a reference tool. It should not be construed as an endorsement by Northeastern University of any of the organizations listed.
Outside Scholarship Opportunities
Since 2001, the Gallagher Koster Health Careers Scholarship Program has provided outstanding students with financial assistance to pursue health-related careers. Open to higher education students entering their junior and senior year of undergraduate study, the scholarship program continues to grow in both the number of scholarships offered each year and the amount of each scholarship. Please click here for more information.
The Yellow Pages United Mark Smith Scholarship. From the Internet to LED billboards, marketing isn’t what it used to be. Submit an original infographic that shows how marketing has changed from your parents’ generation to yours. Humor, originality and creativity are encouraged! Award: $2,500. Criteria for eligibility:
- Major in marketing, graphic design, or related majors in an
accredited university or college in the U.S.
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Full-time status for 2014
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
Deadline is May 31, 2014. For more information, please visit http://www.yellowpagesunited.co/yellow-pages-united-mark-smith-scholarship/.
- Major in marketing, graphic design, or related majors in an
GreenPal is offering a $2,000 scholarship. Details and online application for the scholarship can be found at: http://www.yourgreenpal.com/scholarship . This is an auto-renewing evergreen scholarship that will be offered each year. The deadline to apply for this award is May 31.
Venere.com scholarship. For more information, please click here. Deadline to apply is August 31, 2014.
My Alarm Center Criminal Justice Scholarship; Deadline- 7/1/2014 https://www.myalarmcenter.com/about-us/scholarships
Digital Storm 2014 Scholarship; Deadline- 6/1/2014 http://www.digitalstormonline.com/2014-scholarship.asp
The Thermo Scientific Pierce Scholarship Program for the Fall 2014 semester includes two (2) $10,000 scholarships and four (4) $5,000 scholarships, to be awarded to undergraduate and graduate students with a declared major of biology, chemistry, biochemistry, or a related life-science field. To qualify for the scholarship, students must have a GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) and be enrolled in an accredited college for university for the Fall 2014 semester. In addition to these qualifications, students must also be legal United States residents, meaning that students possessing appropriate Visa status in order to study in the United States are also eligible. Students may apply for the scholarship through the Thermo Scientific Pierce Scholarship Website. Applications will be accepted until 2:59:59 p.m. CT on August 1, 2014. Each application will be reviewed and evaluated by a scholarship committee and announced to the chosen recipients by August 14, 2014. We strongly encourage all students that meet the scholarship award criteria to apply for this great scholarship! All questions regarding the scholarship may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Account Control Technology Foundation (ACT Foundation) is now accepting applications for its Second-Year Scholarship Program. Current first-year college students who plan and qualify to enroll as sophomores in the Fall of 2014 are eligible. A total of 25 $1,000 scholarships will be awarded to students nationwide.
The upcoming application deadline is March 31, 2014. Guidelines, application forms and promotional flyers are available on the ACT Foundation's web page at www.accountcontrolfoundation.org
Breakthrough Technologies Scholarship is offering two scholarships per year to 3rd and 4th year undergrad students in the engineering, math, and/or science that are showing an interest in these technologies. Note that the first scholarship’s open period is coming up in mid-March; the 2nd one in the fall. Here is a link to the webpage that explains further: http://www.criticalsystemsinc.com/scholarships
BistroMD Health and Wellness Scholarship
- Prize is $1,000 and the deadline is April 30 and December 1 (biannual scholarship with deadlines in the fall and spring)
- The scholarship is geared towards high school seniors and college students who are pursuing a college degree
- To enter, students must submit an original 500-word essay on the chosen topic
- You can learn more about the scholarship and enter here: http://www.bistromd.com/scholarship
- Crown & Caliber Entrepreneur’s Scholarship
- Prize is $1,000 and the deadline is May 31.
- The scholarship is geared at young entrepreneurs and business majors but is open to students in any field at both the undergraduate or high school level
- To enter, students must submit an original business proposal plan
- You can learn more about the scholarship and enter here: http://www.crownandcaliber.com/crown-caliber-entrepreneurs-scholarship/
- Sixt Rent a Car Scholarship. To learn more about our Scholarship please check out http://www.sixt.com/actions/sixt-scholars
Six scholarships in the amount of $2500 are being given away for the following majors:
Computer Science - http://blog.questia.com/apply-george-towfic-scholarship-questia/
Language or Communications - http://blog.questia.com/apply-dr-veronie-lawrence-wright-scholarship-questia/
Social Sciences - http://blog.questia.com/apply-dr-lauren-looker-scholarship-questia/
Software Engineering/Development - http://www.cengagebrain.com/blog/apply-for-the-cameron-keif-scholarship-by-cengagebrain/
- The 2014 Program includes (5) $500 scholarships that vary by academic subject. A full listing of available scholarships is listed below and also attached. The application deadline for all awards is May 1st, 2014. You may also visit our Scholarships home page to learn more about the program and the application process. The page can be found here: http://www.collegeclasses.com/scholarships/
- 2014 “Breaking Down the Barrier” Scholarship Award http://www.collegeclasses.com/scholarships/breaking-down-the-barrier-scholarship-award/ A $500 scholarship will be awarded to a student pursuing a degree in any field (Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctoral). Areas of study may include: Art & Design, Business, Culinary Arts, Education & Teaching, Engineering, Healthcare & Nursing, Human Services, Humanities & Sciences, Law & Justice, Psychology, Technology & IT, and Vocational & Trade.
- Business Scholarship Awardhttp://www.collegeclasses.com/scholarships/business-scholarship-award/ A $500 scholarship will be awarded to a student pursuing a degree in business (Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctoral). Areas of study may include: Accounting, Administration, Ecommerce, Economics, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Human Resource Management, International Business, Management, Marketing, Non-Profit Management, Organizational Leadership, Project Management, Real Estate, Retail Management, Sports Management, and Supply Chain Management.
- Healthcare & Nursing Scholarship Award http://www.collegeclasses.com/scholarships/healthcare-scholarship-award/ A $500 scholarship will be awarded to a student pursuing a degree in healthcare or nursing (Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctoral). Areas of study may include: Dental Assisting, Healthcare Administration, Healthcare Informatics, Massage Therapy, Medical Assisting, Medical Billing & Coding, Nursing, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Sports Medicine, and Veterinary Technician.
- Law & Justice Scholarship Awardhttp://www.collegeclasses.com/scholarships/law-scholarship-award/ A $500 scholarship will be awarded to a student pursuing a degree in law and justice (Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctoral). Areas of study may include: Criminal Justice, Cyber Security, Homeland Security, Law Enforcement, Legal Studies, and Paralegal Studies.
- Technology & Computer Science Scholarship Award http://www.collegeclasses.com/scholarships/technology-scholarship-award/ A $500 scholarship will be awarded to a student pursuing a degree in technology or computer science (Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctoral). Areas of study may include: Computer Programming, Computer Science, Database Administration, Information Systems, Information Technology, Network Administration, Network Security, Software Engineering, and Web Development.
Through Small Business Success Student Scholarship program, SuretyBonds.com hopes to hear all about the small business experiences young entrepreneurs across the nation have gained, whether personally or from observing family members working to make a way for themselves. Three deserving individuals will win a $1,500 scholarship to use toward furthering their education at the college or university of their choice.
The SuretyBonds.com Small Business Success Student Scholarship Program is open to students in every state. All entries must be received no later than March 31, 2014, to be eligible for the contest. Applications may only be submitted online. Each student must submit a 500 to 1,000-word essay about "How small business ownership (personal, parent, grandparent, or legal guardian) has shaped you into the person you are today." http://www.suretybonds.com/scholarships
- DutchCrafters Heritage Scholarship: For the 2014-15 academic year, the DutchCrafters Amish Furniture Heritage Scholarship will award three scholarships of $500 each. Disbursements of the award will be made in two increments of $250 each – one for the first semester and one for the second semester of the academic year. The award payment will be forward by DutchCrafters directly to the college or university for distribution. Awards are for undergraduate study only.The application deadline is May 1, 2014 for the 2014-15 academic year. The application consists of three parts:
Part 1) Application
Part 2) Statement of Financial Need
Part 3) 750 Word Essay
Essays are expected to be written in a formal paragraph form. Spelling and grammar will be considered in selecting the top essays. Style and creativity will also be taken into account.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Furthermore, DutchCrafters will not assume the responsibility of notifying applicants that their application is incomplete. DutchCrafters will not confirm or verify individual submission queries.
DutchCrafters Heritage Scholarship
1877 Porter Lake Drive
Sarasota, Florida 34240
Evette Harless Scholarship
National Go Solar Foundation (NGSF) established the “Evette Harless Scholarship”. This scholarship awards $1000 annually to up to ten graduate students. More information and the requirements are available in the organization's website. http://www.ngsf.org/scholarships
Hotelscheap.org is offering two ongoing scholarships per year, valued at $1,500 each. The company is interested in helping students who demonstrate a strong aptitude for learning, and have a drive to improve themselves, and society in general. Winners will be determined by the executive team each spring and fall semesters. The private company scholarship is open to all students who apply online through the company website application page, http://www.hotelscheap.org/scholarship.
Frame My Future Scholarship Contest 2014. Deadline is March 5, 2014. The scholarship contest is open to all students who plan on attending a U.S. college/university as a full-time student for the 2014-2015 academic year and is a legal U.S. resident. To enter the scholarship, submit an original creation that communicates what you want to do in your personal and professional life after college. Follow the theme: This is how I Frame My Future. Some examples of entry ideas are: photograph, collage, poem, drawing, painting, graphic design piece, short-typed essay and more. Frame My Future is awarding a total of $6,000 in college scholarships. There will be five winners of the $1,000 scholarships and the Grand Prize Winner, the top vote-getter Finalist, will earn an additional $1,000 donation to their 2014 attended college/university. http://www.diplomaframe.com/contests/frame-my-future-scholarship-contest-2014.aspx or www.framemyfuture.com
Goedeker’s Scholarship. The company will be awarding a grand prize of $500 and two honorable mentions for $100. This scholarship will be offered nationwide. http://www.goedekers.com/college-scholarship The scholarship is available to all students (Undergraduate and Graduate) and available to all fields of study. We will handle everything we just want to promote it with your students.
- Sunoco Rewards Scholarships (TWO $1,000 opportunities available); Deadline- 6/1/2014 http://www.gosunoco.com/contests-and-sweepstakes/sunoco-rewards-scholarship/
- Sports Unlimited 2014 Scholarship; Deadline- 4/20/2014 http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/2014-scholarship.html
- Big Fish Online Games Scholarship ($2,500 scholarship); Deadline- 5/31/2014 http://www.bigfishgames.com/daily/big-fish-online-games-scholarship/
- Oz Moving & Storage Scholarship 2014; Deadline- 4/4/2014 http://www.ozmoving.com/scholarship
- AWeber Email Marketing Scholarship; Deadline- 5/1/2014 http://www.aweber.com/email-marketing-scholarship.htm
- Emergency University $1000 Scholarship; Deadline- 4/30/2014 http://www.emergencyuniversity.com/news/scholarship.aspx
- Griswold Home Care 2014 Scholarship; Deadline- 5/1/2014 http://www.griswoldhomecare.com/scholarship/
- Revzilla “The Future of Motorcycle Technology” Scholarship; Deadline- 4/20/2014 http://www.revzilla.com/revzilla-college-scholarship-2014
- Nuvation Engineering Scholarship; Deadline- 5/31/2014 http://www.nuvation.com/nuvation-scholarship
- Autodesk Scholarships and Competitions; Deadline- Ongoing http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=17359857
- Lamps.com 2013 Scholarship; Deadline- 6/1/2014 http://www.lamps.com/scholarship-2013
- PicMonkey $1000 Scholarship; Deadline- 5/31/2014 http://blog.picmonkey.com/2013/11/01/1000-picmonkey-college-scholarship/
- RE/MAX of New Jersey 2014 Scholarship; Deadline- 4/30/2014 http://www.remax-nj.com/scholarship.aspx
- IssueTrak Help Desk Software Scholarship; Deadline- 5/31/2014 http://www.issuetrak.com/help-desk-software-scholarship
- Westway Electric Supply “Illuminating Ideas” Scholarship; Deadline- 4/30/2014 http://www.westwayelectricsupply.com/scholarship
- NAVEX Global Policy and Procedure Management Software Scholarship; Deadline- 5/31/2014 http://www.navexglobal.com/policy-management-software-scholarship
- The Company Corporation’s Quarterly Business Plan Contest; Deadline- Ongoing/Quarterly https://www.incorporate.com/business_plan_contest.html
- Free Country Principles Scholarship Essay Contest; Deadline- 5/31/2014 http://www.freecountry.com/pages/principles-scholarship-essay-contest
- A Place for Mom Senior Care Innovation Scholarship: Five $1000 scholarships available to students enrolled in an associate’s, bachelor’s, or graduate level program at an accredited school in the fields of gerontology, medicine, nursing, social work, sociology, or long-term care administration. Deadline April 30, 2014. Essay topic and details found at www.aplaceformom.com/scholarship.
- The Massachusetts Eta chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon annually offers the Balanced Man scholarship to two incoming freshmen, male or female, enrolled at Northeastern for the upcoming fall semester. This scholarship is awarded to applicants who well-represent the SigEp motto of “Sound mind, sound body”, and who display characteristics of “Virtue, Diligence, and Brotherly Love” in correspondence with SigEp’s values. This includes those who exhibit academic excellence, demonstrate leadership skills, and commit to health and well-being. Two $1,000 scholarships will be awarded for this academic year. Membership in the Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity is not a requirement, but the applicant must be enrolled in Northeastern as a freshman for the 2013-2014 academic year. Please contact the Vice President of Recruitment, Andrew Caunter, at email@example.com with any further questions. For more information, please visit http://www.sigep.neu.edu/sigep/our-chapter/balanced-man-scholarship/
- Giva, Inc., a technology company located in Silicon Valley, is excited to offer its annual $1,000 student scholarship! Giva's corporate student scholarship and grant award is for anyone attending a college or university and is aimed at assisting undergraduate or graduate students further their education. There is no specific course of study or major required. All students, regardless of major, currently attending a college or university degree program either full or part-time are eligible and encouraged to apply. The award is for school tuition so the scholarship check will be written out to the student's educational institution. Giva employees, family relatives and vendors are not eligible. All eligible students will be required to compose a thoughtful essay between 500 – 1,000 words answering the question: “How will you use your talents and education to make the world a better place for future generations? What are your career and personal goals and why?” Award winners are required to perform some community service volunteer work. Essay submission deadline: December 1 of each year. Scholarship award date: January 31 of each year. Click here for more information and to download an application.
- Odenza Marketing Group Spring Scholarship - $500 – 1 Award (Deadline: March 30, 2014)
- To be Eligible a student must:
- Be between the ages of 16 and 25 on March 30th, 2014.
- Submit answers to the essay questions, which can be found on the application page, prior to the March 30th, 2014 deadline.
- Have at least one full year of post secondary studies remaining at the time of the award. (Current High School Students are also eligible.)
- Have a GPA of 2.5 or greater.
- Applications can be found by going to: http://scholarshipguidance.com/scholarship_odenza_marketing_group_scholarship_8931.php
- To be Eligible a student must:
- Peter Pasula Study Habits Scholarship - $500 – 1 Award (Deadline: April 1st, 2014)
- To be Eligible a student must:
- Be attending an accredited post-secondary institution by the fall of 2014.
- A student can be enrolled at any level in any program that is two years in length or longer.
- Students must be Canadian or US residents.
- Students must answer the essay question on the website online application form.
- Applications can be found by going to: http://scholarshipguidance.com/scholarship_peter_pasula_study_habits_scholarship_8935.php
- To be Eligible a student must:
- Find A Law Scholarship - $500 – 1 Award (Deadline: May 15th, 2014)
- To be Eligible a student must:
- Be Enrolled in full-time studies at a college, trades, or technical school by no later than September 2014.
- Currently reside in the United States and intend on continuing studies in the United States.
- Complete the Online Form and Short Question by no later than May 15, 2014.
- Applications can be found by going to: http://scholarshipguidance.com/scholarship_find_a_law_scholarship_8929.php
- To be Eligible a student must:
- The Asian Women in Business Scholarship encourages and promotes exceptional Asian female students who have demonstrated scholarship, leadership, community service and/ or entrepreneurship. The AWIB Scholarship Fund awards scholarships to students who have the attributes to be our next generation of leaders. To review the scholarship information along with AWIB Scholarship Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and access the application go to www.awib.org/Scholarship.
- AfterCollege has been connecting students and recent grads with employers hiring for internships and entry-level positions since our inception in a Stanford University dorm room in 1999. AfterCollege gives new job seekers a competitive advantage by tapping into valuable professional networks with a patented job search algorithm and career-building tools to help land that all-important first job. Click HERE to see all currently available AfterCollege scholarships.
- Birkenstock footwear company awards $1,000 scholarship each year. Please click HERE to apply.
- Penny Stocks Lab (http://PennyStocks.la). We are eager to provide financial assistance to students interested in finance or investing. You can find out the specific details of the scholarship at http://pennystocks.la/scholarships.
- NEWiRE Scholarship application is now available for any female student entering her junior or senior year of undergraduate school or entering or enrolled in a graduate program at an accredited college or university based in New England. The student must demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career in the commercial real estate industry through her course studies and/or internships in a commercial real estate firm. Scholarship amount is expected to be $5,000. For more information, please visit http://www.newire.org/page.aspx?id=92.
- The Cape Cod Chapter of the American Business Women's Association has 3 scholarships available of $1500 each. Requirements are:
-the applicant is a woman
-she has proof of residency on Cape Cod or the Islands
-she is pursuing a degree or technical certification, and has completed at least a semester toward that program
-she has GPA of 3.0 or higher
-she has not received a scholarship from ABWA Cape Cod in the past
- LatPro.com will be awarding $2000 three times annually. Scholarships are open to all Hispanic and bilingual students. http://learn.latpro.com/scholarship/
- DiversityJobs.com will be awarding $2000 three times annually. Scholarships are open to diversity and minority students. http://streetsmart.diversityjobs.com/diversity-scholarship/
- JustJobs.com will be awarding $2000 three times annually. Scholarships are open to all students. http://academy.justjobs.com/scholarships/
- Sallie Mae Fund. The Sallie Mae Fund's Unmet Need Scholarship Program provides a last-dollar resource for families with a combined income of less than $30,000. Students must have a minimum 2.5 grade point average (on a 4.0 scale) to be eligible to apply. Scholarship awards range from $1,000 to $3,800. The First in Family Scholarship Program was developed in partnership with the Hispanic College Fund and provides scholarships ranging from $500-$5,000 to undergraduate Hispanic Americans who are the first in their family to attend college. The American Dream Scholarship Program, a partnership with the United Negro College Fund, awards college scholarships raniging from $500-$5,000 to African-American students with demonstrated financial need. For more details on The Sallie Mae Funds scholarship programs and to apply, please visit. www.salliemaefund.org
- LendioBrock Blake, Lendio’s CEO, once won a similar scholarship in an entrepreneur contest during college. He used the money to start his own career as an entrepreneur, and now wants to give back and help other aspiring business owners get a similar head start. The Lendio Brock Blake Student Entrepreneur of the Year scholarship will award $2,500 every year to a student who has demonstrated excellence in entrepreneurship." To apply, please visit http://www.lendio.com/scholarship/
- Navy Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate Program The Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate (NUPOC) program offers up to $168,300 to college sophomores, juniors and seniors who are earning their degrees. The NUPOC program provides a regular monthly income ranging from $3,280 to $5,610 for up to 30 months prior to graduation. All majors are eligible. Learn more at http://www.navy.com/joining/education-opportunities/undergraduate.html.
- Navy Civil Engineer Collegiate ProgramThe Civil Engineer Collegiate Program (CECP) offers up to $113,100 to college juniors and seniors earning their degrees. CECP provides a regular monthly income ranging from $2,575 to $4,700 for up to two years prior to graduation. Learn more at http://www.navy.com/joining/education-opportunities/undergraduate.html.
- Navy Nurse Candidate Program The Nurse Candidate Program (NCP) offers up to $34,000 to college juniors and seniors to help pay for nursing school. This includes an initial grant of $10,000 plus a monthly stipend of $1,000 for up to 24 months while earning your degree. Learn more at http://www.navy.com/joining/education-opportunities/undergraduate.html.
- Navy Health Professions Scholarship Program (Graduate) The Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) covers 100% of the cost of medical school, dental school or qualifying postgraduate school tuition; provides a monthly stipend of $2,088 to cover living expenses for up to four years; plus potentially offers a sign-on bonus of up to $20,000. Learn more at http://www.navy.com/joining/education-opportunities/graduate-professional.html.
- Navy Health Services Collegiate Program (Graduate) The Health Services Collegiate Program (HSCP) provides anywhere from $157,000 to $269,000 to students completing medical school, dental school or qualifying postgraduate school. That includes a monthly salary and housing allowance from $3,280 to $5,610 for up to 48 months. The specifics of this offer depend on specialty area. Learn more at http://www.navy.com/joining/education-opportunities/graduate-professional.html.
- Navy Financial Assistance Program (Graduate) The Financial Assistance Program (FAP) provides potentially over $275,000 during a typical four-year medical or dental residency. That includes a $45,000 annual grant on top of any residency program-based salary – plus a monthly stipend of $2,088 for up to four years. The specifics of this offer depend on specialty area. Learn more at http://www.navy.com/joining/education-opportunities/graduate-professional.html.