Federal & State Grants

Federal Pell Grants

A Federal Pell Grant does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are only awarded to undergraduate students who have not yet earned a bachelor's or professional degree. The Pell Grant program is targeted to high need students, your eligibility will also depend upon your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Your EFC is calculated utilizing a formula established by Congress when your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is processed. Eligibility for Pell Grant funds is determined by your EFC and enrollment status (fulltime, 3/4 time, 1/2 time, less than 1/2 time). These grants of up to $5,645 (the maximum award for 2013-2014) are awarded to undergraduate students.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

A Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need--that is, students with the lowest Expected Family Contributions (EFCs)--and gives priority to students who receive Federal Pell Grants. An FSEOG doesn't have to be paid back. These grants are made directly through the Office of Student Financial Services to students. Grants typically range from $200 to $3000. Specific amounts are based on funds available and the number of students with exceptional financial need who meet priority filing deadlines as determined by Student Financial Services. Please note that FSEOG funds are only available for undergraduate day students; students in the College of Professional Studies are not eligible to receive these funds.

MASSGrant Program

The MASSGrant is a grant assistance program funded by appropriations from the Massachusetts Legislature. The MASSGrant program provides need-based financial assistance to undergraduate students who reside in Massachusetts and who are enrolled in and pursuing a first bachelor degree in a program of higher education in any approved public or independent college, university, school of nursing or any other approved institution furnishing a program of higher education. Parents of dependent students must also reside in Massachusetts.

In addition to its full-time grant award, the state of Massachusetts also offers a part-time grant to students who are enrolled on a less than full-time basis. Please click here to learn more about the Massachusetts Part-Time Grant.

Other State Grants

Many other states aside from Massachusetts offer support to students who meet specific qualifications. The states of Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont all allow their residents to transfer scholarship support to Massachusetts schools. If we have added a state grant to your award, it reflects our best estimate of your eligibility; however, the amount is subject to change, based on state guidelines and funding levels. You will be notified directly by the state whether you qualify, and if so, the dollar amount of your award. It is important that you check with your state scholarship office about qualification requirements and application deadline dates.

Please visit the websites below for additional information regarding your state of residence.