I’ve learned a bunch of important skills while working at StudentRabbit, like managing your time, keeping in mind both your deadlines and other people’s deadlines as well. I’ve learned to stay positive, and to never say “I can’t” to any task given.

– Gianmarco Di Pino

CONNECT is in less than a week, and we’re so excited for all of you to student-rabbit-share2come check out the awesome lineup of Northeastern-based ventures (believe me, they’re pumped to meet you guys as well). For those of you who are still out of the loop, CONNECT is an event hosted by the Entrepreneurs Club and IDEA, where we bring in a whole bunch of cool startup founders, and provide both you and them with the chance to meet, talk with, and *maybe* even work with each other!

To show you guys a bit more about what it’s like to work with a CONNECT startup, we interviewed Northeastern student and Eclub member Gianmarco Di Pino, who partnered with StudentRabbit, an up-and-coming startup that buys old textbooks and sells them cheap to college students like us, so we no longer need to shed tears after buying our books each semester. Together, we reflected on his experiences and personal development at StudentRabbit:

E-club: So why don’t you start by telling us about your role at StudentRabbit? What were your main responsibilities?

Gianmarco: So I had two big responsibilities, and both were on the marketing side. I helped StudentRabbit make a GoAnimate video clip to promote their company, and I helped them improve their user experience, making their website easier for the customer to use.

E-club: And did your contribution and support matter? Were you an important part of the venture?

Gianmarco: I did a lot of the short-term tasks that Saman [the manager] gave, not so much on the big strategic plan. However, the stuff I did do definitely helped out StudentRabbit a lot.

E-club: How long did you dedicate to StudentRabbit?

Gianmarco: I spent around 4 hours a week at StudentRabbit

E-club: Can you describe how you’ve grown professionally since you’ve started working for StudentRabbit?

Gianmarco: After StudentRabbit, I found that I’m much more willing to start my own company – to be my own boss. Saman and I both really liked working with each other, and we’ve agreed to keep in touch and support each other in the future.

E-club: Sounds like you got quite a bit of networking in during your time at StudentRabbit. Did the company provide a lot of networking opportunities?

Gianmarco: Yes, they did, which was great because I was surrounded by people who I wanted to be surrounded by, which I’m sure will give me more opportunities in the future.

E-club: Any other takeaways from StudentRabbit besides a great network?

Gianmarco: Yeah, I’ve learned a bunch of important skills while working at StudentRabbit, like managing your time, keeping in mind both your deadlines and other people’s deadlines as well. I’ve learned to stay positive, and to never say “I can’t” to any task given. Also, I’ve learned a bunch of technical skills. Finally, I’ve learned how to put myself in the shoes of the customer when designing the StudentRabbit site.

E-club: What did you think about the company overall?

Gianmarco: I think StudentRabbit has good potential. They’re quick at getting in and doing stuff, and they do stuff with the right timeframe. They can replicate the same business model in other cities, benefiting the student communities in those cities as well.

E-club: Sounds like working at StudentRabbit was a great experience. Can you think about two or three reasons why you got hired by StudentRabbit, to help those who want to be hired by a CONNECT company this semester?

Gianmarco: The biggest thing is being motivated, to always want to do more and learn new things. Saman wanted people to truly enjoy the projects they worked on, and to see opportunities to bring new ideas to him, to help him with the problems he faced. Another important thing is to have your own opinions. My boss really valued my opinion, and a lot of the stuff I suggested ended up on the actual website. One of the big reasons they hire you is because they want a new, fresh take on the things they’re working on.

E-club: Alright, I think we’ve got enough material now, thanks a lot for the help, Gianmarco!

Gianmarco: No problem! Glad to help.

And there you are, folks. If you want a great experience working for a startup like Gianmarco did, or if you’re curious about our startups and want to meet the founders, make sure you check out CONNECT, happening this Wednesday, January 27th! For more information, feel free to check out the Facebook event page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1110947625584538/

To sign up, just go on Eventbrite and fill out a VERY quick application:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/connect-work-with-idea-startups-tickets-20770530215?utm_term=eventurl_text

We’ll be posting more about CONNECT in our weekly newsletter, so keep your eyes peeled. We hope to CONNECT with you next Wednesday!

Top
Follow us: