Hiring Process Overview
Hiring a Northeastern University English Co-op student is much like hiring another employee for your company - with value added!
You will work directly with a Cooperative Education Faculty Coordinator who will guide you through the hiring process. In addition, your Coordinator prescreens the students who apply for your position.
- Listing your position on the NU Co-op website
- To list your position on-line, please CLICK HERE to complete the NU Employer Job Request Form.
- Please keep in mind that, once listed, all NU co-op students will be able to see this listing (not just English majors): Make sure to include undergraduate coursework or work experience that you require applicants to have completed.
- After receipt of your completed Job Description Form, your Co-op Faculty Coordinator will contact you by telephone to establish a personal connection, to review your listing, to answer questions you have about the process, and to make an appointment to visit your company in the near future.
- After you have indicated approval, the job posting will be uploaded to a NU internal secure website that is password-protected.
- Reviewing Resumes/Interviewing Students
- You will receive resumes of students who have been prescreened and pre-qualified by your NU Co-op Faculty Coordinator. You and your staff will make decisions about which students you wish to interview and ultimately to hire. This part of the process is the same as it would be for any other position you may have. Typically, you would be responsible for contacting students and arranging for interviews and, although NU prescreens the applicants for your position, we do recommend that you check references.
- Making An Offer
- If you would like to speak to your Co-op Faculty Coordinator before making a decision, please feel free to do so.
- If you need assistance in setting an hourly rate, please feel free to contact your coordinator.
- Please notify your NU coordinator when a student accepts an offer for your position.
- If possible, please let other students know that you have hired someone else
When you are ready to make an offer to hire a student, we ask that you allow the student three business days to make a decision, if possible. If you require a decision more quickly, please make sure the student has this information.
Thank you for your interest in the NU English Department Co-op Program. We look forward to a rewarding relationship!