Financial Aid, Awards, and Assistantships

Teaching Assistantships and Graduate School Scholarships (GSS) are awarded to students in the graduate program in English. Specific information about each award can be found below. If you would like to be considered for an assistantship or GSS, please check the appropriate box on the online application form. When you apply for admission to the graduate school, you may also wish to apply for graduate financial aid.

Teaching Assistantships

The English Department offers Teaching Assistantships to all students entering the Ph.D. program.

Students who enter the Ph.D. program may expect five years of support while completing their program requirements. The 2013-14 funding package for teaching assistants in the Ph.D. program is $16,800 over two semesters, full tuition remission, and health insurance. Doctoral students who have achieved candidacy are eligible for higher stipend rates, health insurance, and tuition remission for dissertation and dissertation continuation registrations, but not for additional coursework.

Teaching Assistants’ duties are divided between teaching courses in the English department’s writing programs and tutoring students in the Department’s writing center.

All Teaching Assistants are expected to make satisfactory progress in their studies and to be effective teachers. The Terms of Award brochure contains additional information about teaching assistantships.

Please note that assistantships are not based on financial need and are offered/awarded directly by the graduate school to which you are applying. The receipt of an assistantship may result in reduced eligibility for need-based financial aid.

Graduate School Scholarships

The Department also awards a limited number of CSSH Dean’s Scholarships (formerly called Graduate School Scholarships) to qualified full-time M.A. applicants. These scholarships offer aid toward tuition but are not accompanied by a stipend. If you are interested in a CSSH Dean’s Scholarship, please check the appropriate box on the online application form.

Please note that CSSH Dean’s Scholarships are not based on financial need and are offered/awarded directly by the graduate school to which you are applying. The receipt of a scholarship may result in reduced eligibility for need-based financial aid.

Need-Based Financial Aid

The Northeastern University Student Financial Service Office can determine your eligibility for a variety of Federal Loans and Federal Work-Study if you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien. To be considered for any of these awards, you must apply for financial aid. Visit the Student Financial Service Office’s website at for the application and more information. Students who are applying for financial assistance are encouraged to complete financial aid applications at the same time as they apply for admission or by the priority date of March 1. (Although you may apply for financial aid at any time throughout the year, to receive priority consideration you must be accepted to your program and have your financial aid forms in by March 1.)


Applicants who are not citizens or permanent residents of the United States are required by both United States Immigration and Northeastern University to provide documentation via a Declaration and Certification of Finances (DCF) form that indicates their ability to cover all expenses associated with the first nine months of graduate study. International applicants should visit the Graduate School website for special instructions on applying to the graduate programs. From this page, applicants can also download the DCF form as a PDF file using Adobe Acrobat Reader.

If you are a U.S. resident and require further financial aid information, please contact the Student Financial Service Office.

Questions about the graduate programs? Send an e-mail to the English Graduate Programs office at