Grad Student Advisor FAQs

Grad Student Advisors

When does registration begin? When does the add/drop period end?

For important registration dates, please review the academic calendar, available on the Registrar’s website.

Do courses that fulfill Women’s Studies certificate requirements count toward the degree?

Yes. All English graduate courses count toward the degree, as long as they fulfill a requirement or the student has room for an elective. Graduate courses taken outside the department may count as electives.

Can my advisee take a graduate course outside the department?

Courses taken outside the department may count as electives. The student should consult with the Graduate Coordinator and the student’s advisor before registering for such a course.

Whom should my advisee contact for TA information?

General questions can be directed to the Graduate Programs assistant ( New TAs may contact Professor Lerner ( with more specific questions.

How does a student transfer credit?

Information about transferring credit can be found on the CSSH Graduate School’s forms website .

How can my advisee register for a Directed Study?

Forms and instructions for Directed Study registration can be found on the Directed Study, Master’s Thesis, & Consortium Courses webpage.

My advisee is in the MA program and would like to apply to the PhD program. What is the internal application process?

An internal application form and online application must be completed by students who are currently enrolled in a degree program and who are applying for a different degree program within the same department (i.e. MA program to PhD program or Special student to degree program). The form and a link the ApplyYourself online application system can be found at the bottom of the Current Student page on the CSSH Graduate School website:

Are there FAQ pages for students?

Yes. FAQ pages for new students, current students, and prospective students can be found at