The Hiring Process
Hiring a Northeastern University Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, or Marine Biology Co-op student is much like hiring another employee for your company – with value added!
You will work directly with a Cooperative Education Faculty Coordinator who will guide you through the hiring process. In addition, your Coordinator prescreens the students who apply for your position.
Listing your position on the NU Co-op website
- To list your position on-line, please complete the NU Employer Job Request Form.
- You will have to indicate a contact when completing this form. Please choose College of Science as the college and Sarah Klionsky as the contact.
- Each distinct position needs to be submitted separately, but you can hire multiple students under the same job description if needed.
- Make sure to include undergraduate coursework and other qualifications that you require or prefer.
- After you have indicated approval, the job posting will be uploaded to an internal, secure NEU website that is password-protected.
Below are the general dates for our typical 6-month co-op terms. We are happy, however, to be flexible with these dates and work within your needs.
|Spring Co-op||Fall Co-op|
|Posting Date||Early to mid-September||February|
|Resumes to Employer||Mid-October||Early to mid-March|
|Employment Start Date||Beginning of January||Beginning of July|
|Employment End Date||End of June||End of December|
Reviewing Resumes/Interviewing Students
- You will receive resumes of students who have been prescreened and by your NU Co-op Faculty Coordinator. You and your staff will make decisions about which students you wish to interview and, ultimately, to hire. This part of the process is the same as it would be for any other position you may have. Typically, you would be responsible for contacting students and arranging for interviews and, although NEU prescreens the applicants for your position, we do recommend that you check references.
- Contact your Co-op Faculty Coordinator if you would like to come to campus to conduct interviews.
Making a Job Offer
We ask that, if possible, you allow students three business days to make a decision after you offer to hire them. If you require a decision more quickly, please make sure the student has this information.
- You are welcome to speak to your Co-op Faculty Coordinator before making a decision.
- If you need assistance in setting an hourly rate, please feel free to contact your coordinator.
- Please notify your NU faculty coordinator when a student accepts an offer for your position.
- If possible, please let other students know that you have hired someone else.
Thank you for your interest in Northeastern’s Marine and Environmental Sciences/Studies Co-op Program. We look forward to a rewarding relationship.