Reduced Course Load & Tuition Adjustment

In certain circumstances, students may be approved to take a reduced course load for disability-related reasons. Undergraduate day students who are approved for this accommodation will maintain full-time status while taking one less four(4)-credit course than is normally required to be considered full-time by the student's department. (Graduate and College of Professional Studies (CPS) students are handled on a case-by-case basis.)

It is Northeastern's practice to bill full-time tuition on a per term basis. Students who are approved for this accommodation through the DRC should pay their University bill in full each semester. Then, the student may request a tuition adjustment once per semester when taking a reduced load. The request must be submitted by the end of the fifth (5th) week of the term in which the reduced load is taken (not for future or past terms). If the request is approved, the student's account will be credited for the course they did not take.

How to Select a Reduced Course Load:

  • Meet with DRC Specialist to confirm the accommodation at the start of each semester a reduced course load is taken;
  • Meet with Academic Advisor to review long-term plan of study, considering reduced load(s);
  • Adhere to course "drop" deadlines established by the University (See Registrar's calendar);
  • Submit a Request for Tuition Adjustment by the end of the fifth (5th) week of the term:
    • For Fall 2013: submit by Friday, October 4, 2013
    • For Spring 2014: submit by Friday, February 7, 2013
    • For Summer 1 2014: submit by Friday, May 23, 2014
    • For Summer 2 2014: submit by Friday, August 1, 2014
    • For Fall 2014: submit by Friday, October 12, 2014

To access and submit a Request for Tuition Adjustment, please visit our Forms page.

Questions regarding Reduced Course Load (through the DRC) may be directed to your Disability Specialist.

Note: Reduced Course Load for disability-related reasons is approved by the DRC. Reduced course load for other reasons (i.e. academic) is managed by the Registrar's office. More information can be found by visiting their site here.