14-Step Recruiting Overview
Dean, Provost or Senior Vice President authorizes the department to conduct a search.
2. Recruitment Plan (pre-posting)
Department submits an affirmative action recruitment plan to be approved and filed by Institutional Diversity and Equity, then meets with Dean/Director of Institutional Diversity and Equity. Approval faxed within five business days.
Please note human resources procedures: Department must complete a requisition for personnel action form with a job description to be submitted to the Dean of the College or the Department head for approval, then routed to budget/SDPA, then HRM for posting. Must be posted a minimum of 30 days.
If recruitment plan not approved, modifications will be requested by the Dean.
3. Job Postings
Search chair notifies Institutional Diversity and Equity when department begins recruitment, and implements affirmative action recruitment plan. Human resources may not post ad without Institutional Diversity and Equity approval.
4. Department notifies applicant that they should complete the “Confidential Applicant Data Information” (with the position and title filled in) located at https://neuforms2.neu.edu/lfserver/affirmative-action-form upon receipt of their application/curriculum vitae.
5. Interview approval
Department submits interview approval form to Institutional Diversity and Equity, which lists the finalists and provides curricula vitae/resumes. Approved within three business days.
If not approved, Dean may require the identification of additional candidates or additional time to assess the diversity of the pool.
In the case of an appeal, the matter will be referred to provost/senior vice president.
(When you send materials to Institutional Diversity and Equity, please include a contact name and number. Institutional Diversity and Equity will call when the packet is available for pick-up.)
6. Prior to Offer of Employment
Department submits “offer of employment” and “appointment activity record” forms to Institutional Diversity and Equity with all interviewed candidates and provides brief rationale for selection. Approval faxed within 72 hours of receipt.
In the case of an appeal, the matter will be referred to the Provost/Senior Vice President for a final review and resolution within three business days.
7. Offer of Employment
Hiring department prepares a hiring packet, sends to Dean/Vice President. Other procedures depend on the reporting structure of the department involved.
8. Dean/Vice President reviews and signs hiring packet. Routes to Budget Office/DSPA, then Provost/Vice President.
9. Provost/Vice President signs appointment letter (original and one copy) and sends packet to either dean or department.
10. Appointment letter
Department sends appointment letter and a copy of job opportunities posting summary.
11. Candidate accepts offer of employment and signs letter of appointment.
12. Search chair notifies candidates not selected.
13. Hiring department informs Institutional Diversity and Equity by phone/e-mail of acceptance or non-acceptance of candidate(s).
14. New employee completes self-identification form at Human Resources orientation.