Northeastern University is committed to a variety of outreach projects which promote strong partnerships between the University and Boston Public Schools and local Boston area students/residents from the zip codes surrounding the University.
- Northeastern increased the number of scholarships awarded to Boston Public School (BPS) students by 12% and increased yield of BPS students by 135% from 2014 to 2015. Find all the Boston Scholarships listed here.
- Northeastern held 4 College Readiness events over the past 2 years, reaching 239 BPS Students.
- Northeastern hosts semiannual College Readiness events on campus for BPS students and their families from the four neighborhoods to provide critical information needed to prepare and apply for college and for financial aid.
- Northeastern enrolled 21 students from the zip codes surrounding Northeastern’s campus into Foundation Year, a 31% increase in local enrollment from the previous school year, in continued efforts to support Boston students in gaining entrance to a four-year degree program.
- Current internship program expanded to include a partnership with Year Up, an organization that provides urban young adults with the skills, experience, and support that will empower them to reach their potential through professional careers and higher education.
- Northeastern offers an additional 30 full-tuition, need-based scholarships to Boston Public Schools graduates, 20 in the specified zip codes and 10 citywide, in addition to continuation of 120 current full-tuition scholarships currently offered in Boston.
- Northeastern provides financial aid covering 100% of demonstrated need for all enrolling BPS students from these neighborhoods.
- Enrollment Management and Student Affairs division established a team of staff in Admissions, Student Financial Services, Foundation Year and the Opportunity Scholarship unit that is dedicated to serving and assisting BPS students and community partners in all aspects of the admissions and enrollment process.
- Over 200 BPS Juniors joined our campus for the daylong programs hosted by NU College Bootcamp, Office of Opportunity Scholarship Programs and the BPS College Readiness office.
- Boston Public High School students who were denied admission to Northeastern were all offered a transfer admission contract which guarantees admission to Northeastern after students complete one year of college work at a local community college.