University of California, Berkeley
Tuesday/Friday 10 - 11 a.m.; Wednesday, 1:30-2:30 p.m.
315 Lake Hall
617.373.2893 / 617.738.6159
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
Sungwoo Kim is a professor emeritus. His areas of research are the economies of North and South Korea, and economic growth of China. His previous positions include research economist at the University of California, Berkeley, and senior economist at the Center for Economic Study and Planning in Rome, Italy. His current research is the economic relationships of North Korea with China and Russia, as revealed by their trade relationships.
- “Capital Appropriations and Investment Behavior of U.S. Manufacturing,” Journal of American Statistical Association, September 1970.
- “Regional Investment in the Housing Sector of Italy,” Land Economics, 1974.
- “Optimal Investment Theory of a Firm with the Multiple Regional Demand, An Empirical Study of Italy,” Metroeconomomica, 1975.
- “An Inter Industry Analysis of Petroleum Use in the United States: An Input Output Approach,” Journal of Energy and Development, Spring 1977.
- “A Regression Analysis on Frequencies of Rail Weight Accidents in the United States,” (jointly) Logistics and Transportation Review, 1982.
- “Results of the 1987 Student Opinion Survey at Northeastern University, Part I: Analysis for the University as a Whole; Part II: Analysis for Individual Colleges; Part III: Analysis for Individual Departments,” (jointly), final report to the funding agency, 1987.
- “Recent Economic Policies of North Korea: Analysis and Recommendations,” Asian Survey, 1993.
- “Socio-Economic Determinants of China’s Recent Economic Growth,” Journal of Reviews on Global Economics, 2014.
Awards and Honors
- The Population Council Fellowship, 1964.
- Ford Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Grant, 1965.
- U.S. Department of Treasury Research Grant on Investment Study with Capital Appropriation (jointly), 1967.
- National Science Foundation Research Grant on a NationalRegional Econometric Study of Italy (jointly), 1969-70, renewed for 1971-72.
- Department of Health and Human Services Grant on Cost Structures of Medical Health Sectors in U.S., 1982.
- The Association for Asian Studies Research Grant on North Korea’s Economy, 1994.
- East-West Center at University of Hawaii Research Grant on North Korea, 1999.
- Northeastern University grant to compile real economic examples for economic principles courses, 2000 (jointly.)
- President of the Korean Students Association of the University of California, 1963-65.
- A member of the Northeastern University Official Delegation to the People’s Republic of China, March 1980.
- Faculty adviser to Northeastern University Tae Kwon Do(martial art) club.