Assistant Professor of African American Studies
University of Helsinki
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
- AFRS 3424 Epidemiology of Pandemic Diseases and Health Disparities in the African Diaspora
- AFRS 2465 The Scope and Dynamics of Conflicts in Africa
- AFRS 2900 Politics, Culture and Swahili in Kenya (Dialogue of Civilizations)
- AFRS 4939 – Community Health and Development in Kenya (Dialogue of Civilizations)
- AFRS/PHTH 1270 Introduction to Global Health
Dr. Richard Wamai earned his Ph.D. in international health and development from the University of Helsinki, Finland. Prior to joining Northeastern he was a research fellow in the Takemi Program in International Health at Harvard School of Public Health. Before that, Dr. Wamai was a researcher at Oxford University (UK) Department of Social Policy. His previous work experience spans a number of other institutions including the London School of Economics, the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health and Institute for Public Policy, the World Bank, the Nordic-Africa Institute in Uppsala Sweden, and the University of Nairobi in Kenya. His research areas are: HIV/AIDS, focusing on male circumcision for HIV prevention, cost-effectiveness and policy in Africa; neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) in Kenya; human papillomavirus in Africa; and health systems and policy. At Northeastern, with professor Pollastri, Dr. Wamai co-leads the Integrated Initiative for Global Health to champion global health efforts at the university.
- Wamai RG. Morris BJ, Bailey RC, Klausner JD, Boedicker M. Debating male circumcision for HIV prevention: a one-sided argument does not represent a legitimate ‘controversy’ analysis. Global Public Health 2015 Mar 5:1-7. [Epub ahead of print].
- Wamai RG. Morris BJ, Bailey RC, Klausner JD, Boedicker M. Male circumcision for protection against HIV infection in sub-Saharan Africa: The evidence in favour justifies the implementation now in progress. Global Public Health 2015 Jan 23:1-28. [Epub ahead of print].
- Ogembo JG, Manga S, Nulah K, Foglabenchi LH, Perlman S, Wamai RG, Welty T, Welty E, Tih P. Achieving High Uptake of Human Papillomavirus Vaccine in Cameroon: Lessons learned in overcoming challenges. Vaccine. 2014 Jun 23. pii: S0264-410X(14)00865-2.
- Bautista-Arredondo S, Sosa-Rubi SG, Opuni M, Kwan A, Chaumont C, Coetzee J, Condo J, Dzekedzeke K, Galárraga O, Martinson N, Masiye F, Nsanzimana S, Wamai RG, Wang’ombe J, on behalf of the ORPHEA study team. Assessing cost and technical efficiency of HIV prevention interventions in sub-Saharan Africa: the ORPHEA study. BMC Health Services Research, 2014, 14: 599 [Paper designated “Highly accessed” in Biomed Central].
- Perlman S, Wamai RG, Bain PA, Welty T, Welty E, Ogembo JG. Knowledge and awareness of HPV vaccine and acceptability to vaccinate in sub-Saharan Africa: A Systematic Review. PLoS ONE 2014;9(3): e90912.
- Wamai RG. “Civil Society Organizations and the Response to the HIV/AIDS Crisis in Africa”. In: Obadare E (eds). The Handbook of Civil Society in Africa. Springer International: New York. 2013.
- Wamai RG, Ayissi CA, Oduwo GO, et al. Awareness, knowledge and beliefs about HPV, cervical cancer and HPV vaccines among nurses in Cameroon: An exploratory study. International Journal of Nursing Studies 2013 Feb 7; pii: S0020-7489(12)00462-2.
- Wamai RG, et al (9 authors). Criticisms of African trials fail to withstand scrutiny: Male circumcision does prevent HIV infection. Journal of Law and Medicine 2012;20: 93-123.
- Morris BJ, Waskett JH, Banerjee J, Wamai RG, et al. A ‘snip’ in time: What is the best age to circumcise? BMC Pediatrics. 2012;12(1):20. [Paper designated “Highly accessed” in Biomed Central].
- Morris BJ, Bailey RC, Klausner JD, Leibowitz A, Wamai RG, et al. A critical evaluation of arguments opposing male circumcision for HIV prevention in developed countries. AIDS Care 2012, Mar 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Morris BJ, Wamai RG. Biological basis for the protective effect conferred by male circumcision against HIV infection. Int J STD AIDS 2012 23: 153–159.
- Wamai RG, Ayissi CA, Oduwo GO, et al. Assessing the Effectiveness of a Community-Based Sensitization Strategy in Creating Awareness About HPV, Cervical Cancer and HPV Vaccine Among Parents in North West Cameroon. J. Community Health 2012 Feb 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ayissi CA, Wamai RG, Oduwo GO, et al. Awareness, acceptability and uptake of human papilloma virus vaccine among Cameroonian school-attending female adolescents. J. Community Health 2012 Mar 17. [Epub ahead of print].
- Wamai RG, et al (12 authors). Male circumcision for HIV prevention – current evidence and implementation in sub-Saharan Africa. J Int AIDS Soc 2011 Oct 20;14(1):49. [Paper designated “Highly accessed” in Biomed Central]
- Morris BJ, Waskett JH, Gray RH, Halperin DT, Wamai RG, Auvert B, Klausner JD. Exposé of misleading claims that male circumcision will increase HIV infections. J. P H Africa 2011;2(e28):117-122.
- Wamai RG, Morris BJ. “How to contain generalized HIV epidemics” article is misconstrued. Int J STD AIDS 2011;22:415-416.
- Banerjee J, Klausner JD, Halperin DT, Wamai RG, et al. Circumcision Denialism Unfounded and Unscientific. Am J Prev Med 2011;40(3):e11-e12. Am J Prev Med 2011;40(3):e11-e12.
- Wamai RG, Larkin C. Health Development Experiences in Haiti: What Can Be Learned From the Past to Find a Way Forward? JMAJ 2011;54(1):56–57.
- Galaraga O, Colchero A, Wamai RG and Bertozzi S. HIV prevention cost effectiveness: a systematic review of the literature 2005-2008. BMC Public Health 2009;9(Suppl 1):S1. [The OptAIDS project: towards global halting of HIV/AIDS]
- Wamai RG. Reviewing Ethiopia’s Health System Development. JMAJ 2009;52(4): 279-286.
- Wamai RG. The health system in Kenya: Analysis of the situation and enduring challenges. JMAJ 2009;52(2):134-140.
- Wamai RG et al (43 authors). Male Circumcision is an Efficacious, Lasting and Cost-Effective Strategy for Combating HIV in High-Prevalence AIDS Epidemics: Time to Move beyond Debating the Science. Future HIV Therapy 2008;2(5): 399-405.
- Halperin DT, Potts M, Kirby D, Klausner J, Wamai RG, Swidler A, Marseille E, Walsh J, Hearst N. Tailoring AIDS Prevention: Response. Science 2008;321:1632-33.
- Potts M, Halperin DT, Kirby D, Swidler A, Marseille E, Klausner J, Hearst N, Wamai RG, Kahn JG, Walsh J: Reassessing HIV Prevention. Science 2008;320: 749-750.
- Klausner J. Wamai RG, Bowa K, Agot K, Kagimba J, Halperin DT. Is male circumcision as good as the HIV vaccine we’ve been waiting for? Future HIV Therapy 2008;2(1):1-7.
Awards and Honors
- 2013: Kenyan Diaspora Shujaa Award [Recognized as ‘hero’ “for continued and extensive global research on HIV/AIDS” on the occasion of Kenya’s national holiday “Mashujaa [Heroes] Day”.]. The New England Kenya Welfare Association (NEKWA) (October 20)
- 2013: Voted ‘Northeastern Favorite Faculty’ by the 2013 graduated Senior Class, Cauldron Yearbook at Northeastern, 2013.
- 2012- 2012: World AIDS Day Unsung Hero Award Winner, Blood:Water Mission (November 30, 2012).
- 2012: Distinguished Faculty Award, John D. O’Bryant African-American Institute (April 20)
- American Public Health Association
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- African Research Network for Neglected Tropical
- International Society for Third Sector Research
- African Civil Society Research Network of the International Society for Third Sector Research
- Fellow, Takemi Program in International Health, Harvard School of Public Health
- Fellow, International Philanthropy Fellows Program, Johns Hopkins University
- Fellow, Ryoichi Sasakawa Young Leaders Fellow