Jack Levin, PhD, is a professor emeritus at Northeastern University and co-director of the Brudnick Center on Violence and Conflict. Previously, he was the Brudnick Professor of Sociology and Criminology.
He has authored or co-authored 30 books, including Mass Murder: America’ s Growing Menace, Why We Hate, The Functions of Prejudice, Hate Crimes Revisited, The Will to Kill: Making Sense of Senseless Murder, Domestic Terrorism, Serial Killers and Sadistic Murderers—Up Close and Personal, and The Violence of Hate.
Dr. Levin has published more than 150 articles in professional journals and newspapers, such as The New York Times, Boston Globe, Dallas Morning News, Philadelphia Inquirer, Christian Science Monitor, Chicago Tribune, Washington Post, and USA Today.
He appears frequently on national television programs, including 48 Hours, 20/20, Dateline NBC, The Today Show, Good Morning America, Oprah, The O’Reilly Factor, Larry King Live, and all network newscasts.
Dr. Levin was honored by the Massachusetts Council for Advancement and Support of Education as its “Professor of the Year.” He has spoken to a wide variety of community, academic, and professional groups, including the White House Conference on Hate Crimes, the Department of Justice, the Department of Education, OSCE’s Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (a membership of 59 countries) and the International Association of Chiefs of Police.
- Jack Levin, James Alan Fox, and David R. Forde, Elementary Statistics in Social Research, 12th edition (Pearson, 2014).
- Jack Levin and James Alan Fox, Extreme Killing: Understanding Serial and Mass Murder (Sage Publications, 2014).
- Jack Levin, James Alan Fox, and David R. Forde, Elementary Statistics in Criminal Justice Research, 4th edition (Pearson, 2014).
- Jack Levin, Blurring the Boundaries of Age: Childhood and Adulthood in an Age of Ambiguity, (Routledge, 2012).
- James Fox and Jack Levin. The Will to Kill: Making Sense of Senseless Murder. (Allyn and Bacon, 2011).
- James Fox and Jack Levin. Extreme Killing: Understanding Serial and Mass Murder. (Sage Publications, 2011).
- Jack Levin and J. Nolan. The Violence of Hate. (Allyn and Bacon, 2010).
- Jack Levin. Serial Killers and Sadistic Murders – Up Close and Personal. (Prometheus Books, 2008).
- Jack Levin and G. Rabrenovic. Why We Hate. (Prometheus Books, 2004).
Awards and Honors
- International Who’s Who, 2010
- American Sociological Association, Public Understanding of Sociology Award, 2009-2010.
- Apple Award for Exemplary Contributions to the Teaching of Sociology, New England Sociological Association, 2009.
- Sigma Delta Tau Sorority, Outstanding Professor, 2008, 2010
- Photograph included in Bill Brett, Boston, An Extended Family (Commonwealth Editions, 2007).
- Honorary member of Phi Kappa Phi, 2007.
- Aspiration Award, Northeastern University, 2006.
- Robin Williams Distinguished Lecturer, Eastern Sociological Society, 2004-5
- Who’s Who in the Social Sciences, 2004-2005
- Sign of Honour for contributions to international collaboration, South-West University, Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria, 2002.
- Named to list of “100 Who Made Their Mark,” Northeastern University Magazine, September 1998
- Irving and Betty Brudnick Professor of Sociology and Criminology, Northeastern University, 1997-present
- College of Arts and Sciences Distinguished Professor, Northeastern University, 1996-1999
- Urban Law and Public Policy Institute Distinguished Professor,Northeastern University Law School, 1995-1996
- CASE Professor of the Year, Massachusetts, 1991-92
- Honorary Member, Golden Key National Honor Society, 1991
- Pioneer Award, New England Sociological Association, 1991
- Award, Disabilities Resource Center, Northeastern University, 1990
- Instructional Fellowship Award, Northeastern University, 1984
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Northeastern University, 1981
- Research Grants: Anti-Defamation League, Boston University, Institute on Race and Justice at Northeastern, U.S. Department of Education
- President’s Commission on Obscenity and Pornography
- Who’s Who in Education, Nursing, the East and the World
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers
- Eastern Sociological Society (Vice President, 1994-95)
- American Sociological Association
- American Society of Criminology
- International Society of Political Psychology
- American Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences