Assistant Professor of African American Studies and Criminology and Criminal Justice
Michigan State University
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
Resume / CV
Gia Barboza is an assistant professor of African American studies and criminology and criminal justice at Northeastern University. Her research focuses on the impact of race/ethnicity on perceptions of the U.S. justice system and criminal justice actors; racial differences in victimization and in the application of criminal justice sanctions; bullying and aggressive behavior among youth; and elder abuse in institutional settings.
- Barboza, G. E., & Dominguez, S. (2016). A sequential logit model of caretakers’ decision to vaccinate children for the human papillomavirus virus in the general population. Preventive Medicine, 85, 84-89. doi:10.1016/j.ypmed.2016.01.010
- Barboza, G. E. (2015). The association between school exclusion, delinquency and subtypes of cyber-and F2F-victimizations: Identifying and predicting risk profiles and subtypes using latent class analysis. Child abuse & neglect, 39, 109-122.
- Barboza, G. E., Schiamberg, L. B., Oehmke, J., Korzeniewski, S. J., Post, L. A., & Heraux, C. G. (2009). Individual characteristics and the multiple contexts of adolescent bullying: An ecological perspective. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 38(1), 101-121.
- Schiamberg, L. B., Oehmke, J., Zhang, Z., Barboza, G. E., Griffore, R. J., Von Heydrich, L., … & Mastin, T. (2012). Physical abuse of older adults in nursing homes: a random sample survey of adults with an elderly family member in a nursing home. Journal of elder abuse & neglect, 24(1), 65-83.
- Schiamberg, L. B., Barboza, G. G., Oehmke, J., Zhang, Z., Griffore, R. J., Weatherill, R. P., … & Post, L. A. (2011). Elder abuse in nursing homes: An ecological perspective. Journal of elder abuse & neglect, 23(2), 190-211.
- Barboza, G. (2012). Group consciousness, identity and perceptions of unfair police treatment among Mexican Americans. Policing: An International Journal of Police Strategies & Management, 35(3), 505-527.
- Post, L. A., Biroscak, B. J., & Barboza, G. (2011). Prevalence of sexual violence. Violence against women and children: Mapping the terrain, 1, 101-124.
- Mastin, T., Choi, J., Barboza, G. E., & Post, L. (2007). Newspapers’ framing of elder abuse: It’s not a family affair. Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly, 84(4), 777-794.