Professor of English
Ph.D. Brown University
on sabbatical leave, spring, 2016
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
Resume / CV
Francis Blessington teaches major books of the past as aesthetically interesting in themselves and as relevant to the modern world: the Greeks, the Romans, the Bible, and Milton, especially Paradise Lost. He also teaches seventeenth-century British literature, a major period for great lyric poets, like Donne and Ben Jonson, and for styles of writing prose. Professor Blessington is a poet and fiction writer, and he offers poetry and fiction workshops. Currently, Professor Blessington is writing a book on Milton to discover how he employed witchcraft in his poetry.
Euripides: Trojan Women, Helen, Hecuba: Three Plays About Women and the Trojan War. Verse translations.
The Last Witch of Dogtown. Novel.
Wolf Howl. Poems.
Euripides: The Bacchae, and Aristophanes: The Frogs. Verse translations.
Lorenzo de’ Medici. Verse play.
Paradise Lost: Ideal and Tragic Epic. Paperback title: Paradise Lost: A Student’s Companion to the Poem..
The Motive For Metaphor: Essays on Modern Poetry in Honor of Samuel French Morse, edited with Guy Rotella.
Paradise Lost and the Classical Epic.
- Euripides: Hecuba, Helen, and Trojan Women: Three Plays About Women and the Trojan War (University of Wisconsin Press, 2015) (verse translations with commentary)
- The Last Witch of Dogtown (novel)
- Paradise Lost and the Classical Epic
- Paradise Lost: Ideal and Tragic Epic
- Euripides: The Bacchae and Aristophanes: The Frogs (verse translations)
- Lantskip (poems)
- Lorenzo de’Medici (play)
- Wolf Howl (poems)
Awards and Honors
- Nominated for Excellence in Teaching Award 2011
- Outstanding Professor Award Spring 2010 Sigma Delta Tau
- Nominated for Excellence in Teaching Award 2004
- Outstanding Alumni Award in Arts and Humanities (1998). Northeastern University Alumni Association.
Milton and Witchcraft (book)
- Association of Literary Scholars and Critics
- Authors Guild
- Brown Renaissance Seminar
- English Lunch Club
- The Golden Key International Honour Society (Honorary Member)
- Harvard Renaissance Seminar
- The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
- Milton Society of America
- Modern Language Association of America
- New England Poetry Club