Assistant Professor of International Affairs and Political Science
Ph.D, 2005, Political Science
Mondays 1:00-3:30 p.m. and by appointment
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
- INTL 1101 Globalization and International Affairs
Resume / CV
Denise M. Horn is an assistant professor of international affairs and political science at Northeastern University in Boston, MA. She is the author of Democratic Governance and Social Entrepreneurship: Civic Participation and the Future of Democracy (Routledge 2013) and Women, Civil Society and the Geopolitics of Democratization (Routledge 2010). Dr. Horn is an international relations scholar, whose work explores the relationship of civil society development to democratic growth, focusing on women’s transnational activism and trends in global development strategies, such as social entrepreneurship. She is the director of Northeastern University’s Global Corps Practicum, which conducts workshops in social entrepreneurship in Thailand, Indonesia, and India. Dr. Horn is a 2014 Fulbright Senior Scholar, where she conducted seminars in democratization and human rights at Universitas Andalas, in Padang, West Sumatra, Indonesia.
- 2013. Democratic Governance and Social Entrepreneurship: Civic Participation and the Future of Democracy. Routledge, 2013.
- 2010. Women, Civil Society and the Geopolitics of Democratization. London: Routledge, 2010.
Refereed Journal Articles
- 2005. “Constructing Agency: US Foreign Funding and Gender Identity in Moldovan Civil Society,” Journal Transitions, Centre d’etude de la vie politique, Universite libre de Bruxelles, Winter 2005-06.
- 2008. “Setting the Agenda: US and Nordic Gender Policies in Estonia,” International Feminist Journal of Politics, March.
Chapters in Books
- 2009. “Boots and Bed Sheets: Constructing the Military Support System in a Time of War,” Gender, War and Militarism, Laura Sjoberg and Sandra Via, eds., forthcoming.
- 2003. “Feminist Approaches to International Relations,” Encyclopedia of Government and Politics 2nd Edition, Mary Hawkesworth and Maurice Kogan, eds. London: Routledge 2003.
Published Conference Reports
- 2003. Baltic Regional Security Challenges Conference Report. Washington, DC: Women in International Security, Georgetown University. www.wiis.georgetown.org.
- 2003. The Northern European Initiative: Conference-Workshop Report. Columbia International Affairs Online. www.ciaonet.org
Works in Progress
- 2009. “The King and I: Thailand’s Nationalist Project and the Development of Thai Democracy” in progress.
Awards and Honors
- 2013-14 U.S. Scholar, Core Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program, “International Relations and Democratization in Indonesia.” Andalas University, Padang, Indonesia.
- 2012 Nominee, Northeastern University Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2011 Nominee, Northeastern University Excellence in Teaching Award