Associate Professor of Sociology and International Affairs
PhD, 2001, Sociology
McGill University, Canada
Monday 1:40-2:40, Thursday 9:30-10:30 and by appointment
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
- Religion in International Affairs
- The New Global Politics: Urban Contestation (honours course)
- Politics of Islam and Gender
- State and Society in the Middle East
- Political Sociology (graduate seminar)
Resume / CV
Berna Turam received her PhD from McGill University, department of sociology. She has an abiding interest in conducting ethnography on state-society interaction, government and the city, urban space and democracy, political Islam and ordinary Muslim people, religion and politics, secularisms, and politics of gender Middle East. She is the author of Between Islam and the State: The Politics of Engagement (Stanford University Press, 2007), and Gaining Freedoms: Claiming Space in Istanbul and Berlin (Stanford University Press, 2015) and the editor of Secular State and Religious Society: Two Forces at Play in Turkey (Palgrave Macmillan, 2012). In addition, she published many book chapters and articles in peer-reviewed journals including British Journal of Sociology, Nations and Nationalism and International Feminist Journal of Politics, Journal of Democracy and International Journal of Urban and Regional Studies. She co-edited a special issue, entitled “Secular Muslims?” in Comparative Studies of South America, Africa and the Middle East. She is a collaborator in an NSF-funded comparative research project on Darwin and creationism in the Muslim world. Most recently, her article, entitled “Primacy of Space in Politics: Bargaining Space, Power and Freedom in an Istanbul neighborhood,” won the best article award from the International Journal of Urban and Regional Research.
- Gaining Freedoms: Claiming Space in Istanbul and Berlin (Stanford University Press, 2015)
- Secular State and Religious Society: Two Forces at Play in Turkey (Palgrave Macmillan, 2012)
- Turkiye’de Islam ve Devlet: Demokrasi, Etkilesim, Donusum. (Istanbul: Bilgi Universitesi Yayinlari., 2011)
(Turkish translation of Between Islam and the State)
- Between Islam and the State: The Politics of Engagement (Stanford University Press, 2007)
- 2013. “Primacy of Space in Politics: Bargaining Space, Power and Freedom in an Istanbul neighborhood,” International Journal of Urban and Regional Research: 37 (2)
(awarded best article by IJURR)
- 2012. “Turkey Under AKP: Are Rights and Liberties Safe?” Journal of Democracy, 23 (1), January issue.
- 2008. “Turkish Women Divided by Politics: Secular Activism versus Islamic Non- defiance” International Feminist Journal of Politics, 10 (4).
- 2004. “The Politics of engagement between Islam and the state: ambivalences of civil society” British Journal of Sociology, vol. 55(2)
- Reprinted in Shahram Akbarzadeh (ed) 2006. Islam and Globalization. Routledge
- 2004. “A bargain between the secular state and Turkish Islam: politics of ethnicity in Kazakhstan”, Nations and Nationalism, vol.10 (3).
Awards and Honors
- 2013 Best Article award by International Journal of Urban and Regional Research
- 2014- Editorial Board, Signs
2013- Editorial Board, Turkish Review
2010-13 Editorial Board, IJMES, International Journal of Middle East Politics (by Cambridge University Press)
- Are as a Site of Political Contestation
- Predicaments of State Secularism and Pro-Islamic Government in Turkey