PREPARING FOR CLASS
All faculty must provide a syllabus at the start of each course. Your syllabus must be sent to your academic unit as soon as possible after you know your teaching schedule so that it may be reviewed and, in most cases, posted to the College website for students to access. While NU Online provides a generic syllabus template (download) you should check with your academic unit for any specific syllabus requirements.
Important Note: All syllabi must be received at least two weeks before class registration opens for students (see registration dates on calendar).
Textbook adoptions should be submitted through the NU Bookstore website. Some classes have a “uniform textbook adoption,” meaning the textbook(s) have been predetermined and all sections of that class must use the same textbook(s). You should check with your academic unit to see if a class you will be teaching has a uniform textbook adoption.
To submit your textbook adoption:
- Go to http://northeastern.bkstore.com/
- Click the “Faculty” link near the top of the screen
- Enter the required information and follow the prompts
- You will need your course reference number (CRN) and an estimated enrollment in the course. Your academic unit should provide you with this information.
A step-by-step guide to the textbook adoption process can be found here: Faculty Textbook Adoption Guide (PDF). Should you need assistance with submitting your adoption, contact the contact the NU Bookstore.
Important Note: All textbook adoptions must be submitted at least two weeks before class registration opens for students (see registration dates on calendar). Federal regulations require that textbook pricing information for required course materials be posted at the time of registration. It is very important that you submit your textbook adoptions as soon as possible once you know your teaching schedule.
Accessing Your Class Roster
Class rosters can be found in both the Banner system and in the Blackboard Learning Management System. Instructions on how to see your class roster can be found on the Registrar website:
- Accessing Class Rosters in Self-Service Banner (PDF)
- Downloading Class Rosters to Excel from Blackboard
The “Two-By-Two” Readiness Rule
The College requires that all faculty teaching an online, hybrid, or blended class adhere to a “Two-by-Two” (2×2) rule: You must have two weeks’ worth of course content ready at least two weeks before the start of a course. The NU Online team conducts Readiness Checks of all classes to ensure compliance with this rule.
Finding Your Classroom Assignment
To determine the classroom in which your course will be held:
- Log into Self-Service Banner with your myNEU username and password
- Click on the “Faculty” link
- Click on “Summary Class List”
- Select the academic term (*Note: If you select the wrong term, your class will not show up!)
- Select your course from the drop-down menu or enter the CRN directly
- Click the course title link
- Find your course and you will see your class under “Where” in the course details
A video tutorial of finding your a classroom assignment can be found at: http://www.screencast.com/t/xYrxXyfJA.
Finding Your Classroom Location
If you are teaching at one of our Boston-based campuses, you can find where your classroom will be held on our Campus Map website: http://www.northeastern.edu/campusmap. You can also view many of the classrooms on our Boston Main Campus through your myNEU account:
- Go to http://myneu.neu.edu
- Click on the ‘Services and Links’ tab
- Scroll to the bottom of the ‘Faculty / Staff Services’ menu
- Click the “View the Classrooms” link
Grades must be submitted by 2:00PM EST on the Tuesday after a class ends. Official academic calendars can be found on the Registrar’s Office website. It is very important that grades are submitted in a timely fashion. Grades must be submitted in Self-Service Banner via myNEU or directly. The Registrar’s Office provides instructions on submitting grades on their website:
PREVIOUS: GETTING STARTED