If you are considering an honors project in Psychology, please contact Prof. Isaacowitz as soon as possible — it is never too early to start planning ahead for it.
Requirements for an Honors Research Thesis for Psychology Majors
The Department of Psychology offers outstanding students an opportunity to complete an empirical research project that allows them to graduate with Honors in the College of Science.
Eligibility for Honors in College of Science in Psychology includes:
- A minimum GPA ≥ 3.5 in all psychology (PSYC) courses.
- Complete 8 SH of supervised, independent research with a faculty mentor.
- Two Honors Project courses (PSYC4970 and PSYC4971)
- A written Thesis approved by a committee of the Psychology Department prior to graduation
- Additional Submissions:
Details and Procedures for completing the Research Thesis for COS Honors in Psychology can be found in here.
Note: Students who complete an honors project are encouraged to place a poster of their thesis work on the designated bulletin board in the first floor hallway of Nightingale Hall.
Psi Chi is the Psychology Honors Society. The deadline for Fall 2016 application is Friday, October 7. Application information is available here.
You should apply to Psi Chi if you can answer YES to all of these questions:
- Are you are a Psychology Major or Minor?
- Have you have completed three full semesters at NU?
- Do you have a minimum overall GPA of 3.00 at NU?
- Do you have a minimum Psychology GPA of 3.00 at NU?
- Have you completed six (6) Psychology courses (minimum of 24 credit hours)?
- Okay, so I meet those criteria. But why should I apply for Psi Chi?
There are many good things about being a Psi Chi member. Let me highlight what I think are the most important reasons: first, it identifies you as serious about the study of Psychology, and shows that you have performed in a superior way in your Psychology courses. It looks good on resumes when you apply for jobs after graduation, or for Psychology graduate school. It is good for networking. And there is typically a fun induction event for all who are able to become members!
Have questions? Please email the Psi Chi faculty advisor, Prof. Baker, at email@example.com.