High school students and their teachers/chaperones, please join dozens of local experts as they share their knowledge, skills, and passion for marine science-related research and practice. Each symposium will feature two hands-on workshop sessions and a keynote presentation by a special guest. This event is sponsored by Northeastern University’s Marine Science Center, the Massachusetts Marine Educators (MME), with additional support from Salem State University and from many dedicated volunteer presenters. The High School Marine Science Symposium has been continuously offered by MME for over 30 years. Don’t miss it! Click here to download a flyer.
WHEN AND WHERE ARE THE EVENTS BEING HELD?
- Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at Northeastern University in Boston
- Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at Salem State University in Salem
Both events will run from 8:15am to 1:00pm. The tentative schedule is as follows:
8:15 – Registration Opens
8:50 – Opening Remarks
9:00 – Workshops A
9:50 – Workshops B
10:40 – Workshop C
11:30 – Keynote Presentation
12:20 – Lunch
1:00 – Event ends, students depart
WHAT WILL IT COST?
$13 per student, and teachers/chaperones are free. A light morning snack and lunch will be provided for all. Payment can be made by credit card (preferred) or by check made out to “Northeastern University”. If payment will be made by check, a PO will be required in advance.
WHO ARE THE FEATURED PRESENTERS?
While we have over thirty workshop presenters across the two events (see registration packs for more info), there is a featured keynote speaker at each event:
- Boston (March 9th): Seeing Deeper into the World of the Great White Shark, presented by Dr. Greg Skomal, Senior Marine Fisheries Biologist, Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries
- Salem (March 16th): Penguin Pursuits: An Unexpected Career presented by Dyan deNapoli, “The Penguin Lady”
HOW DO I REGISTER?
1) Download and read the registration pack for the event you want to attend.
2) Register online for the event you want to attend.
3) Pay online via PayPal, or initiate a Purchase Order for payment by check. An invoice will be sent to you upon registration. Full payment is expected by the day of the event.
4) Collect student workshop preferences available in the registration packs (see above) and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, February 26th. To the greatest extent possible, workshop attendance will be assigned based on student preferences while ensuring an even distribution of participants in each session.
5) Collect media releases for every student and chaperone (included in the registration pack), and bring these with you on the day of the event.
6) Boston event only: Please read the University’s Policy for Programs Involving Minors and Code of Conduct for Programs Involving Minors. Sign and submit the Third Party Certification form (also found in the registration pack) by February 26th.
WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO KNOW?
Schools are responsible for providing their own transportation to/from the event.
CAN I SPONSOR THIS EVENT?
If you or your organization is interested in supporting this event through sponsorship at the $100, $250, $500, $1,000 or higher level, please contact Carole at email@example.com. Sponsors will receive special mention in our program as well as at the events, and donors at the $500 level or higher will also receive special mention on event signage.