- Oxford English Dictionary (OED): The authoritative dictionary of the English language. (NEU login required)
- SIL Glossary of linguistic terms
- Ethnologue: Collects information on the world’s languages.
Databases of Abstracts and Papers
- LLBA (Linguistics and Language Behavioral Abstracts): The more comprehensive research database in linguistics. (NEU login required)
- LingBuzz: an archive of linguistic papers, but published and unpublished.
- Snippets: Very short linguistics remarks that are meant to motivate research: published by Linguistic Inquiry (LI).
- Language Description Heritage: A database of linguistics articles compiled by the Max Planck Society, Germany; these can be downloaded for free as PDFs.
- Linguistics Subject Guide: Provides information on resources specific to linguistics available through the Snell Library.
Linguistics Style Sheets
These documents detail how to format data, references, in-line citations for a linguistics paper. There are slight variations, depending on which journal you look at, but the ones listed here are the foremost journals/stylesheets used in linguistics.
- Linguistic Inquiry Style Sheet: Very detailed, automatically downloads as a PDF. Most journals or working papers in linguistics reference this style sheet.
- Linguistic Society of America Style Sheet: Very detailed, with lots of good examples for how data and citations should be presented.
- How to Present a Poster, a Paper, etc. Advice on designing scientific posters for presentation at conferences.
- General advice for structuring and writing an abstract.
How to write an abstract in linguistics
- How to Write an Abstract
- Writing Conference Abstracts
- Here are some model abstracts in linguistics to look at.
- How to give a good linguistics presentation.
Undergraduate Linguistics Conferences
- Annual Harvard Undergraduate Linguistics Colloquium
- McGill’s Canadian Conference for Linguistics Undergraduates
- Cornell Undergraduate Linguistics Conference
- Toronto Undergraduate Linguistics Conference
- Ottawa’s Conference for Linguistics Undergraduates
- Linguist List: See the current list of Calls for Papers in Linguistics.