Post-doctoral Research Fellow in Photomedicine, Wellman Laboratories of Photomedicine, Department of Dermatology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 1995-97
Post-doctoral Research Fellow in Photomedicine, Department of Oral Pathology, Eastman Dental Institute, London, United Kingdom, 1992-94
MSc, Experimental Oral Pathology, Eastman Dental Institute, University of London, United Kingdom, 1992
PhD, Oral Biology, Ludwig-Maximillian University, Munich, Germany, 1989
DDS, Dental School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece, 1984
Area(s) of Expertise
Photomedicine, Experimental Pathology
My major research interests include:
- Antimicrobial photodynamic therapy (the synergism of photoactive agents and visible light for targeting microorganisms); and
- The impact of blue light on dental plaque growth and host innate response dynamics.
My research accomplishments are:
- The development of a new direction in Oral Research by establishing a unique research program in the field of Photomedicine with the foundation of the Applied Molecular Photomedicine Laboratory (AMPL) at The Forsyth Institute in 2003, a translational research laboratory – unique of its kind nationwide – with strong collaborations with outstanding clinicians, scientists, and engineers.
- The Scientific Foundation of PhotOral, Inc. (2011), a science-based company in Boston to develop a novel intraoral device that emits light in the blue region of the electromagnetic spectrum in the appropriate wavelength and dosimetry for selectively targeting potentially harmful dental plaque microorganisms.
- The establishment of the Nano-Photo-Medicine Initiative that brought Photomecidine and Nanotechnology together.
- The development of photodynamic therapy (synergism of a photosensitizing compound and red light) as an adjunctive technique to standard chemo-mechanical endodontic disinfection.
Dana Research Center