Saturday, October 5 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The MSC will be hosting its Annual Open House on Saturday, October 5th from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. (rain date is Sunday, October 6th). In addition to some faithful standards such as touch tanks and tours of East Point, the Center will be showcasing the work and talent of its research labs and academic programs. With a half dozen new faculty members in the past year, there’s a lot more to explore! We’ll also have expanded opportunties for field exploration.
- Tour the recently renovated Edwards Building, including research labs
- Complete a fieldwork obstacle course
- Visit the touch tanks
- Build a coral reef
- Learn about the Ocean Genome Legacy and how DNA is extracted
- Check out the marine environment using an infrared camera
- Explore how Antarctic icefish survive without hemoglobin
- Design a food web
- Listen to crabs and fish underwater
- Tour historic East Point, including its unique geology
- Touch a lobster…or is it a robot?
- Visit the solar observatory
- Learn about what some of our neighbors and colleagues are doing to protect the environment
- And more!
This event will be free and open to the public. Parking is available and there is no need to RSVP. The event will be family-friendly, but also will have something to offer all ages. Youth and scouting groups are most welcome.