Back to top

 How do I make an appointment with my Advisor?

As a student in the College of Science, you have multiple ways to schedule an appointment with your Academic Advisor. The first and most accessible method is through your myNEU portal, under the Self Services tab.

You may also stop by the Academic Advising Office in 206 Mugar or call 617.373.4475 and speak with our Administrative Assistant or Work Study staff. They are happy to assist schedule an appointment or answer any questions you may have.

Back to top

How do I calculate my GPA?

If you need to enter ALL of your course work from previous term, please log into your myNEU account, click on “Self Service,” and then click on “My Transcript.” Use that listing as a guide to enter your grades.

If you have questions, please call 617.373.4475.

Back to top

 How do I change my Major or declare a Second Major?  

Back to top

 How do I declare a Minor?

  • First download and print the Program of Study Petition.
  • Fill out your information in Part 1 and indicate your new minor in Part 2, by selecting the 5th check box: “Pursue a minor in”
  • Return your Program of Study Petition to 206 Mugar. We will complete the processing of petition. You can however, always track your progress in your minor by looking at a degree audit for the minor.
  • See “What is the MyPaws/DARS Degree Audit?”

Back to top

How do I change my Pattern of Attendance (POA)?

  • Pattern of Attendance changes almost always involve changes to when you are going out on Co-op.  POA changes are either setting your record to go out on a future Co-op or so that they won’t be going out on any further Co-ops. Since POA changes involve Co-op, please contact your Co-op coordinator to initiate this change.   You can find your Co-op coordinator here.

Back to top

How do I change my Grad Year?

  • Please contact your Academic Advisor in 206 Mugar to make changes to your graduation year. Find your Academic advisor here. Please note: Your advisor cannot change your graduation year in your Junior or Senior year until you complete your Graduation Clearance. To complete your Graduation Clearance please log in to your myNEU account and schedule an online appointment under the Self Services tab or call 617.373.4475 to set up an appointment.

Back to top

 Internships and Directed Studies

Internships most often receive credit in the form of a directed study.  In order to sign up for a directed study, you’ll need to do the following:

  • Find a full-time NU faculty member who is willing to oversee your Internship/Directed Study experience and coordinate with your internship supervisor.
  • You and the faculty member will need to work out the details of expected outcomes, communications, and any assignments that are due at the end of the internship.
  • When all of these details are worked out, then the faculty member will assist you in filling out a Directed Study form, which is available in the registrar’s office or on their website.
    This will need to be submitted to the Registrar’s office in 271 Huntington Avenue.
  • Directed studies can be taken for between 1 and 4 credits.

Back to top

 How do I take a Personal Leave of Absence?

To initiate a leave of absence from the University, print out the Leave of Absence form and then get in touch with your Academic Advisor in the College of Science.

Here are things to keep in mind when taking a leave of absence.

  • Personal leaves must be requested before the start of a semester.
  • Personal leaves are only allowed for a maximum of 6 months.  If a student is on a leave for more than 6 months, the student will automatically be withdrawn from the University.
  • If you receive loans as part of your financial aid package and you take a personal leave, repayment grace periods often start while you are on the leave. Please consult with your financial aid advisor if you receive financial aid. List of Financial Aid Advisors
  • If you are taking a leave of absence and were planning on living in the residence halls for the upcoming semester, you will need to contact Residence Life at 617.373.2814.
  • If you have questions about your health insurance coverage while on a leave of absence, please contact the Registrar’s office at 617.373.2307.
  • For the complete policy, please refer to the “Academic Policies and Procedures” section of the Undergraduate Catalog.

How do I take a Medical Leave of Absence?

Medical leave is an option available if you become seriously ill or injured during a term. If you need to take medical leave you must first contact the University Health and Counseling Services Medical Leave Team.


Back to top

 How do I withdraw from a course?

Keep in mind there are two very important deadlines for withdrawing from a course in every term. To find out about those deadlines, reference the academic calendar for the current semester.

If you’re not sure if you should drop a class, it’s a good idea to discuss it first with your Academic Advisor in 206 Mugar.

  • To drop a course before the last day to drop a class without a W grade (check the academic calendar for this date) you can drop the course online.
    • Log into your myNEU, click on “Self Service” and click on the link for Registration
    • After choosing the correct semester and you are looking at the Add/Drop web page, look for the “Actions” column.
    • For the course you want to drop, click on the pull down menu and choose “Web Drop.”
    • Click on “Submit Changes.”
    • When the page refreshes, review the results to make sure that there were no errors and that the course was successfully dropped.

Very important points to consider when withdrawing from a course. For the full policy, review the Undergraduate Day Catalog on the Registrar’s website.  Look for “Dropping Courses” under the section titled “Registration and Taking Courses.”

  • Not attending the course does not constitute withdrawal. You must fill out the proper paperwork and submit it to the Registrar’s Office on time.
  • You must withdraw from the course prior to the posted deadline: http://www.neu.edu/registrar/calendars.html
  • There is no refund when you withdraw from a course.
  • If you sign up for the course again in a future term, you are billed for the future course as you would for any other course.
  • You will receive 0 Semester Hours (SH) for the course.
    • This may mean that you will have to take an unplanned course in a future summer term or overload in a future term to stay on track to graduate.
  • A grade of “W” has no impact your GPA.
  • IMPORTANT:  If you withdraw from enough courses to fall below 12 SH in a Fall or Spring term (or below 6 SH in a summer term) you should contact the office listed for each area PRIOR to withdrawing from a course.

Back to top

 How do I withdraw from the University?

If you need to take a leave of absence from Northeastern University that will extend beyond 6 months, or you are planning to transfer to another institution, we ask that you formally withdraw from the University.  This action is not destructive to your record in any way.

  • You can begin the process through your MyNEU portal under the self-service tab.
  • Contact the Student Financial Services/Financial Aid Office at 617.373.3190 to inform them of your departure so they can discuss how the withdrawal will affect your loans and other aspects of your financial aid package.
  • If you made arrangements to stay in the residence halls in an upcoming semester, you will also need to contact them to cancel your housing commitments by calling 617.373.4016.

Back to top

What is the myPAWS/DARS Degree Audit?

The myPAWS (or DARS) Degree Audit is a very useful tool to help you determine your progress in your major.  You can find your audit when you log into your myNEU and click on the “Self-Service” tab. Here are some main points to the audit.

  • Unless you want to run an audit for a minor or a different major, you will not need to alter any of the default settings, just click on “Submit.”
  • If you want to run an audit for a major other than your primary major or for a minor, click on the “Explore Options” button and then choose the desired major or minor from the list on the resulting page.
    Important!- Do not adjust the catalog year from its default setting.
  • Each Major and NU Core requirement is split into its own section. If there is an “OK” next to a section, you have completed all of those requirements. If there is a “No” next to a section, there are still requirements that you need to complete.
  • If you have requirements still to complete, you will be presented with a list of potential courses that you could take to fulfill that requirement. If you click on a blue Course Number, you will see the course description for the course.

Back to top

Where do I go to take a foreign language placement exam?

If you have prior experience learning or using a foreign language, you must take a placement exam prior to registering for a class in that language. Results of the exam will indicate the appropriate course level in which you should be placed. You can find information regarding the placement tests at http://tinyurl.com/NULanguage.

Back to top

 What is Graduation Clearance, and how do I complete it?

Graduation Clearance is a process that must be completed by every student that is in his or her Junior or Senior year. We strongly recommend that you complete your Graduation Clearance between two and three academic semesters prior to your expected graduation. If you fail to complete your Graduation Clearance, you will not be allowed to graduate and will not receive your degree.

To complete your Graduation Clearance, please schedule an appointment with your Academic Advisor. The most accessible method is through myNEU under the Self Service tab.

Please Note: Senior clearance MUST be done in person.  Your advisor will not complete it over the phone or over email.  Please plan ahead!

Why is it important?

  • It lets the College of Science know when you anticipate graduating.
  • It is an opportunity for your advisor to review your degree audit and point out any potential requirements that might be unaccounted for.
  • It allows your advisor to make a necessary adjustment to your student record.

If you’re on Co-op and cannot make an in-person appointment during normal business hours, you can defer your appointment until you’re on campus or schedule a phone appointment to discuss registration for your upcoming semester with your advisors to make sure you’re taking appropriate courses.

Back to top

What is Academic Probation and how does it affect me? 
If you earn fewer than 12 SH in one fall or spring semester and/or your GPA drops below 2.000, you will be placed on Academic Probation by the College. If you earn fewer than 12 SH per semester and/or are below a cumulative 2.000 GPA for 3 consecutive semesters, you will be dismissed. You can find the Academic Probation policy in the Northeastern Undergraduate Catalog under Academic Progression Standards.

  • If you are placed on Academic Probation for the first time, you are encouraged to meet with your Academic Advisor or to meet our Retention Specialist as well as seek tutoring as necessary. Depending on the severity of the deficiency, the Academic Advisor may put you on an Academic Probation Contract. The contract will outline the requirements you must meet in order to get off Academic Probation.
  • If you are placed on Academic Probation for the second time, you will receive a hold on your account and must see your Academic Advisor to sign an Academic Probation Contract. You are also strongly encouraged to meet regularly with our Retention Specialist and seek tutoring.
  • You can request to meet with a Peer Tutor through your myNEU self-service tab, TUTORING.
  • If you are dismissed from the University you will be dropped from all registered courses for the semester immediately following dismissal.
    • You may not petition to return to classes for the semester immediately following dismissal. If you wish to return, you may file an appeal petition with the College of Science to be allowed to return to classes in a future term.

Back to top
What is the difference between an Academic and Faculty Advisor?

  • Your Faculty Advisor helps with curriculum questions regarding courses in your major including course scheduling, transfer petitions, career advice, and evaluation of progress in your major. Faculty Advisors have drop-in office hours each week or you can set up an appointment via email.
  • Academic Advisors, in the Office of Student Services in 206 Mugar Life Sciences Building, help with all other inquiries including NU Core requirements, patterns of attendance (POA) changes, senior clearance, Leave of Absences, withdrawing from courses or the University, etc. Visit MyNEU to make an appointment with your Academic Advisor online, or call 617.373.4475.

Back to top

I don’t check my MyNeu email, what should I do?

Your @husky.neu.edu email address is considered an official form of communication. “I don’t know because I didn’t check my myNEU email” isn’t an excuse and won’t undo missed deadlines.

If you wish to have your @husky.neu.edu email forwarded to a private address, please have it forwarded by following the steps below. You might need to adjust your email settings to allow these communications to reach you and not your “junk” folder.

To forward your email:

  1. Log into your myNEU, and then click on the email button at the top.
  2. Click on the “Settings” tab
  3. Click on “Forwarding and POP/IMAP”
  4. Enter the email address that you want your @husky.neu.edu email to be forwarded to
  5. Click “OK”

Now you’re all set to never miss an important announcement from your professor, advisor, or any other NEU faculty or staff member.

Back to top

I need to petition the Academic Standing Committee, what do I do?

 The first thing you should do is talk to your Academic Advisor about the details pertaining to your petition. Write your petition letter. There is no form to fill out. This is just a letter.

  • Address it to: Academic Standing Committee
  • Your explanation of your current situation comes first.
  • Your explanation what you are petitioning for comes next.
  • Your explanation, justification, and reasoning for why your petition should be approved comes last.
  • Give your petition a lot of thought and make sure it’s well written.  It’s obvious when a student has neglected to take their petition seriously, and it will negatively affect the decision made by the committee.
  • Submit it to your Academic Advisor via email.  Your advisor will serve as a liaison with the committee and will contact you when a decision has been made.

Back to top

Policy Issues

What are the Academic Progression Standards?

The text of the progression standards are in the Undergraduate Catalog under Academic Progression Standards..

  • The basic points are:
    • Students must keep their overall GPA above a 2.000 at all times
    • You must successfully complete 12 Semester Hours in the fall or spring semesters. Grades of I, IP, *, X, F, U, or W do not count as having completed the course successfully.
  • If a student fails to meet either or both of these criteria for three consecutive semesters, they will be dismissed from the University.

It is our policy that for students who have been academically dismissed from the University, they are not allowed to petition to return to classes for the semester immediately following the dismissal.  Students must take at least 1 term off before returning to classes at Northeastern.  This helps to ensure that students are well prepared for their studies and in a situation best aimed at future academic success.

Appealing the dismissal may be possible. That information is available through your College of Science Academic Advisor after you have been dismissed.

Back to top

Can I repeat a course?

Courses may be repeated in order to earn a better grade. In all cases the most recent letter grade earned in a course is the one used in calculating the overall grade-point average; however, previous grades remain on the transcript followed by the word “Repeat.” Consult your academic advisor before repeating a course. Students are required to pay normal tuition charges for all repeated course work.

  • Important points to keep in mind:
    • Tuition will be charged as normal.
    • The most recent grade will always be factored into your GPA.
      WARNING: If you repeat a course and receive a lower grade the second time, it’s the second grade that will count, and lower your GPA.
    • You cannot receive credit for the same course twice (some special topics courses are a unique exception), so if you received a grade of D- or better the first time, when you repeat the course you will lose the original credits.  You will only receive credit for the most recent completion of the course.

Back to top

What is the transfer credit policy?

This university-wide police states that the university has the expectation that its students complete ALL of their requirements here at NU and are unable to transfer in credit from another college/university once that have matriculated to NU. The rare exceptions to this policy are:

  • If you have a deficiency from a prior semester, you may make up that deficiency at another institution.  A deficiency is most commonly defined as having received a failing grade (U or F).
  • If a program or course at another institution presents an opportunity to expose you to course material or other opportunities that relate to your declared program (major), but are not available to you at Northeastern, you may petition to transfer those credits back to Northeastern.

In order for a student to be allowed to transfer credit from another institution after the student matriculates, the student must properly file a petition with their COS Academic Advisor, which will be reviewed by the Office of the Dean. Please see your advisor about the necessary petition.

  • If permission is granted, students must follow the following guidelines for the transfer credit to be allowed:
    • Transfer credits must be granted from an accredited institution
    • Students must earn a C or higher in an academic credit course for it to be transferable
    • You will earn only the number of credits as the other institution attributes to the course
    • A maximum of 80 credits from a four year institution and 60 credits from a two year (combined total of 80) may be accepted toward a Northeastern degree
    • Remedial/Developmental/ESL/Physical Education/Non academic credit courses are not transferable
    • Students have up to one semester after matriculation to finalize transfer credit
    • You can browse the Transfer Credit Database to see what other courses have already been successfully transferred from a given institution.

Back to top

What is the transfer credit procedure?

Before you may register for any course at another institution, you must have an approved petition on file with your Academic Advisor.  Refer to the guidelines immediately above.

After you have completed your course, you must submit an official transcript to your Academic Advisor as soon as possible after completion of the course at the outside institution. Preferably, have your transcript mailed to you, and then hand deliver it to 206 Mugar in its original sealed envelope. DO NOT OPEN THE ENVELOPE. Opened transcripts cannot be accepted as valid for transfer credit.

If necessary, you may also have it sent to your Academic Advisor directly, but this should only be in the event that you absolutely cannot hand deliver your transcript.

Northeastern University
206 Mugar
360 Huntington Ave
Boston, MA  02115-5000

Back to top

Can I take a course Pass/Fail

While this can be beneficial depending on your individual circumstance, there are some policies that you need to be award of. The entire text about Pass/Fail courses is in the Undergraduate Catalog in the following section for any year:
The University > Academic Policies and Procedures > Grading System

  • Key policy points to consider:
    • You may only elect to take only ONE course per semester as Pass/Fail.  If one course is only offered as Pass/Fail (very rare), then the student may still elect for another course to be taken as Pass/Fail.
    • Students on Academic Probation may not take a course Pass/Fail.
    • Pass/Fail courses CANNOT count for core requirements or major requirements.  Any course taken as Pass/Fail will become a general elective and count only as Earned Hours toward graduation.
    • If you elect to take a course as Pass/Fail, you are NOT eligible for the Dean’s List for that semester.
  • Key benefits to consider:
    • Pass/Fail grades are not calculated into a student’s GPA.
  • Procedure for electing to take a course Pass/Fail:
    • Print and fill out the Petition to Elect Pass/Fail Grade from the Registrar’s Forms page
    • Meet with your advisor in the College of Science in 206 Mugar, to make sure it’s an appropriate option for you, and have them sign your petition.
    • Discuss the Pass/Fail request with your course instructor within the first two weeks of the term. If they approve your request, have them sign your petition as well.
    • Return the Petition to Elect Pass/Fail Grade to the Registrar’s Office in 120 Hayden.

Back to top

How can I register for an overload?
If you need (or elect) to register for an extra course in a semester, there are some important things to be aware of regarding extra tuition charges. Please discuss this with your Academic Advisor.

Back to top

What is a standard course load for COS students?

  • Fall/Spring Semesters: four 4 SH courses and any mandatory co-requisite such as Labs (1SH) and/or Recitations (0SH).
  • Summer Semesters: two 4 SH courses and any mandatory co-requisite courses such as Labs (1SH) and Recitations (0SH).

Full-time tuition does not necessarily cover up to 19 credits; it covers a standard course load, which is 16 billing credits. You may see that the registration system allows you to register for up to 19 credits on your own. This is to allow you room to register for the necessary labs and other co-requisites.

When you are registering for courses for a term, there are two values on the Add/Drop screen. One is “Total Credit Hours” and the other is “Billing Hours.” If Billing Hours goes above 16 for Fall/Spring, or above 8 for a Summer term, this is considered an overload.

If you have financial questions, please contact Student Accounts to see if you will be charged overload tuition, and how much that charge will be.

Back to top

What if I have a question that is not covered here?

If you have a question that is not mentioned within the FAQ we strongly recommend that you schedule an appointment to meet with your COS Academic Advisor, or call us at 617.373.4475, or email us!

Back to top

How can I find NEU directory information?

We recommend that you call 617.373.2000 or TTY 617.373.3768. You can also find most offices online at http://www.northeastern.edu/neuhome/adminlinks/findaz.html

Back to top

How do I register for my courses? I don’t know what courses to select.

Look up when registration starts for each semester on the Academic Calendar.

Review your degree audit before any registration period to help you decide on the next courses in your sequence. You may also want to set up a meeting with an Academic Advisor before registration to discuss your options.

What if a class is full?

  • COS Academic Advisors do not have the ability to over enroll a course.
  • Please go to the office of the department offering the course to request admittance to the course.

What if the class is restricted?

  • Go to the department to see if your circumstance warrants a restriction override.

Back to top

Where can I find Academic Support?

The central tutoring office is the place for students to go when they are having difficulty finding the tutorial assistance that you need. You can request to meet with a Peer Tutor through your myNEU self-service tab, TUTORING.

Back to top

Where can I find help with selecting a study abroad experience and its courses?

When you are ready to begin the application process you will need to contact a study abroad coordinator. Their information is at http://www.northeastern.edu/studyabroad.

It is imperative that you meet with your academic advisor to ensure the courses you take abroad will not deter you from your graduation plans.

Back to top