Physics majors have the opportunity to graduate with Honors in Physics by carrying out an advanced research project under the supervision of a Physics faculty advisor.
Eligibility for Honors in Physics:
- A minimum 3.6 Physics GPA and 3.3 overall GPA, and junior/senior standing.
- Completion of 8 SH of independent research from the following courses: PHYS 4970 Junior Seniors Honors Project 1, PHYS 4971 Junior Seniors Honors Project 2, PHYS 4992 Directed Study, PHYS 4993 Independent Study.
- A proposal that outlines the scientific significance of the project, its aims, and the research design and methods. This proposal must be approved by the thesis advisor, the Chair of the Physics Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, and the Physics Advisor.
- A written thesis that must be approved by the thesis advisor, the Chair of the Physics Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, and the Physics Advisor.
- Presentation of the results in an oral or poster presentation as decided by the advisor.
Click here to complete the Honors in the Discipline Intention Form. This form will inform COS Undergraduate Student Services of your intentions to complete the Honors in the Discipline requirements.