How can I change my major to Behavioral Neuroscience?

  • The minimum requirement for transfer into the major is completion of Math 1251 and either Bio 1+ lab or  Chem 1 + lab and a GPA of at least 2.5.
  • If you meet these transfer requirements, fill out a Petition to Transfer form and get it signed by a Faculty Advisor.
  • Check the priority deadline per semester on the COS website to ensure your major changes before registration for the next academic term.

Can I declare a Minor in Behavioral Neuroscience even if my major is Biology or Psychology?

Absolutely! To add a minor, go see your Academic Advisor in the College of Science.

What is the difference between my Faculty Advisor and my Academic Advisor?

  • Your Faculty Advisor helps with curriculum questions regarding courses in your major as well as career advice, experiential learning opportunities including study abroad and research internships, transfer petitions, and evaluation of progress in your major. Faculty Advisors have drop-in office hours each week or you can set up an appointment via email.
  • Academic Advisors, in the Office of Student Services in 206 Mugar, help with all other inquiries including NU Core and NUpath requirements, patterns of attendance (POA) changes, senior clearance, Leave of Absences, withdrawing from courses or the University. Visit MyNEU to make an appointment with your Academic Advisor online, or call 617.373.4475.

Can I graduate with Honors in Behavioral Neuroscience even if I’m not in the Honors College?

  • Honors in the Discipline is open to all juniors and seniors with a GPA above 3.5.
  • More information and the online intention form are found on this COS website.

What courses in the major are offered in the summer?

  • Summer sessions offer select courses only so you should plan accordingly. Courses typically offered:
    • Summer 1: general chemistry 2, genetics, techniques in biology, biochemistry, biology capstone, clinical neuroscience, developmental psychology, cognition, abnormal psychology, statistics in psychological research, seminar in biological psychology, AWD
    • Summer 2: organic chemistry 2, physics for life sci 2, genetics, techniques in biology, biochemistry, developmental psychology, cognition, abnormal psychology, statistics in psychological research, seminar in biological psychology, AWD

What are some recommendations if I am pre-med?

  • Physics is not a pre-requisite for other courses so students should take it AFTER they finish courses such as biological psychology, organic chemistry and genetics which are pre-requisites for other advanced electives.
  • Biochemistry is strongly recommended and can fulfill one of your advanced biology courses.
  • Students should sign up for a MedAppTrak account with the PreHealth Advising Office.

Can my AP statistics credit fulfill the statistics requirement in the major?

  • AP statistics is the equivalent of MATH 2280 (statistics and software) and will NOT fulfill the BNS statistics requirement.
  • New students who are following the 4 year, 2 coop curriculum flexibility plan are encouraged to take PSYC 2320 during NU term (Summer 1 after your freshman year).

Anatomy and Physiology are required for pre-health profession schools.  Will these courses fulfill requirements in the major?

Anatomy and Physiology are introductory courses and are considered elective only.  They CANNOT fulfill biology requirements in the major.

Are there specific study abroad universities that offer more BNS courses?

  • Absolutely!  While we suggest you take advantage of the cultural and language opportunities of study abroad, you may find some courses that can fulfill BNS requirements particularly at these institutions. 
  • You can also search for study abroad locations that offer specific NU courses.

What should I do if a course I need is full?

In your email, include your name, student ID number, course CRN, a short statement about why you need the course and indicate which class should be dropped (if any) from your schedule. Also consult an advisor for recommendations on alternative courses.

I have class registration questions, where can I go?

  • The Office of the University Registrar has more FAQs here.

Still have questions?